Confused in a 5th wheel

duggger912

Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
USA
Need help! I subscribed to Dish Network las spring while I wintered in Mesa, AZ. My wife and I live in a 5th wheel as we are retired and love to travel. The tech that set up our system when told that we would be travel said that all I had to do was point at the southern sky and I would be able to get all my channels. So we headed for Las Vegas and when I tried to set up the system - nothing and at that time Dish said I had to call a tech pay a charge and I would have tv again. So I did, but he said that my dish was warped and had to be replaced, which I did. A few weeks later we traveled to Boise, Idaho and Dish said if we moved there they would come out and set up my system. The guy in Las Vegas and Boise said that my tripod really wasn't a system that was designed for traveling but would work. I got the local Boise channels. Fast forward to Oregon, no siganl too many trees. On to Washington State. Could not acquire any signal due to trees. East to Iowa. I had Dish change my address to Iowa and I was back watching TV. Left Iowa and went to Lake of the Ozarks and chnaged address again and Dish dispatched a tech and he set up my system but could not get 110W or any local channels. Same story in Arkansas, Texas and New Mexico, no 110W or any local channels. Called Dish tech support and was told that I would only be able to get only 2 satellites because I was out of my region and I would have to call a local dish retailler and would have to change out my dish because 110W wasn't available everyware. WTF!
Anybody have a ideas how I aquire 110W and get local channels

Get a compass and learn how to set up the dish yourself. I assume you have a Dish 1000. 110,119,129 are viewable in all but the extreme north eastern US. The mast will need to be perfectly plumb and you are aiming for a very small point in the sky. You will have to adjust the elevation and azimuth for the area you are in each time, as it will change as you move across the US. A photo of your tripod and dish setup would help people with explaining the setup.

I have the compass, level, and cheapo signal meter. I can get 119W with no problem. Can't seem to tweek this enough to get 110W. Dish is telling me because I'm moving around I won't be able to get 110W or the local channels from my home address. What gives?

You won't get locals as they are on spotbeams and only viewable within a few hundred miles of your home address. I would go with All American direct and get the East or West coast version of the networks if you are traveling a lot. 110 is viewable across the entire US, it just takes practice aiming the Dish.

What type of Dish are you trying to aim? Dish 1000 or Dish 500

If the previous installer erased your switch matrix and never got 110, then once you get 119 you will need to run a check switch so the receiver will know whether 110 is there is not

FInnally a answer I can believe. The dish is a 1000. I have run the check switch and the only satellites are the 119W and 129W. How can I restore the 110W so the reciever can find it.

You need some tools and the Dish 1000 manual for the setup values of Azimuth, Elevation, and Skew as they are not in the receiver for a 1000 dish.

Here are examples of tools and the procedures FTLS - TV Dish Setup

If it says 129 - 119 - na then you are about 10 degrees too far to the right

Do you need local channels or broadcast channels? Unless you really like locals, you are better off with DNS broadcast channels from All American Direct.

spot beam !

Most of the locals - which are usually on 110 [1000.2] are spot beamed over a particular area
So when you get a few hundred miles out of that spot whala no locals. subscribe to R.V. locals as they are CONAS and available.

So is the 922 a good choice given my Home Distribution usage?

Mike Francesa from the Fan interview with Dennis Swanson from Fox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)