Comcast SD channel proportions too wide

davecampit

Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Wheeling, WV
Here's a problem I haven't seen mentioned, but both my Mom's TV and mine have the same problem with Comcast:

Although the HD channels are proportioned correctly, all the STANDARD-definition channels come over filling the screen and stretched WIDE. (It's not my Sony KDL-52W4100 or my Mom's Akai 42" plasma doing it.) The setting are on NORMAL, not widescreen or stretch. Likewise, a local restaurant has Comcast and they have the same problem with the three Samsungs in their dining room -- and they even let me fiddle with the remote...sure enough, they do NOT have their screens stetched wide, either. The pic is just coming in that way.

An interesting comparison: As example, if I watch CBS on a low-def channel (Channel 9), the pic is wide. But if I switch to, say, channel 210 (the high-def feed), even if CBS is not broadcasting a high-def signal, it comes through proportioned properly (with gray bars on the sides) there.

And yet -- when the HD channels go to commercial and the commercials are SD, they also stretch WIDE.

I've spent a couple of hours fiddling with options on my TV, my receiver, and the new Comcast box. Nothing corrects it -- so the SD channels are just ridiculous to try watching, unless I like everybody with extremely wide heads and bodies.

Is there some adjustment on the Comcast box that I'm missing to fix this?

The folks at the local Comcast office had no idea what I was talking about.

basic cable 9.95 for one year

Chicago Halts Satellite Tax Grab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)