Status
Please reply by conversation.

WalksInDarkness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Kekistan
Hi All,

I am a newbie, so sorry for the basic questions. I want to get the DirecTivo that they offer at Best Buy (free with rebate). But the girl working there was useless, and could not answer any of my questions. I know someone told me before that I have to run 2 coax lines into the box, in order to record while watching a different channel. My D* system is the current 4-room configuration, with a 4 output spiltter junction. Can I just add a non-powered 2 output digital grade splitter behind the box? Or do I need to get one of those "powered" splitters (the one at best buy has 8 outputs, which is overkill for me). The girl at best buy was claiming I needed to use another 4 output splitter, but that did not make any sense to me as it was not powered either (it was essentialy the exact same thing as the 2 output one).

TIA,
Will

Yes you need 2 lines to watch and record something at the same time. You can not just use a normal spillter as the tuners need to be able to send voltage out to tell the LNB's which transponder to look at. What you need is a multiwitch, I would suggest you replace the 4 output with an 8. You can get them for about $100. This way you have room later.

More questions...

Thanks for the info, it make sense. I knew the girl was wrong.
One more question: for the time being, could I just use the Tivo with one coax if I am only recording what I am watching?
My current philosophy is that is all I need right now, because I only need my Tivo for two things:
1) so I can record programs I watch, for my wife who works 2nd shift.
2) so I can pause programs while watching, when my triplets get obnoxious.
If those 2 things can be done with one line, I am happy.
I will add the 8-splitter when I build my new TV room in the basement. I don't want to drill any extra holes in my hardwood floor anyhow.

TIA for any answers,
Will

WalksInDarkness said:
Thanks for the info, it make sense. I knew the girl was wrong.
One more question: for the time being, could I just use the Tivo with one coax if I am only recording what I am watching?
My current philosophy is that is all I need right now, because I only need my Tivo for two things:
1) so I can record programs I watch, for my wife who works 2nd shift.
2) so I can pause programs while watching, when my triplets get obnoxious.
If those 2 things can be done with one line, I am happy.
I will add the 8-splitter when I build my new TV room in the basement. I don't want to drill any extra holes in my hardwood floor anyhow.

TIA for any answers,
Will
You can use just one coax. Just have to tell it during setup is all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

new style remote on the HD DVR

WiFi device for wireless TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)