Cheapest Way to Get Dish During NFL Season *Only*?

rufwork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Southeast US
I'm interested in getting Dish with Red Zone for four months out of the year (for Monday Night Football, ESPN, and the Red Zone channel during the NFL season), then cancel, then re-activate eight months later when the season starts again.

Any advice on the cheapest way to have service four months a year?

(I'm an OTA antenna guy, so I'd probably have the local game on the HD TV and Dish on the old tube, so SD-only is probably fine.)

What I might have learned:
* I need 120+ to order Red Zone for $7 a month.
* There might be a cancellation fee even without a contract (like $6 or something).
* It might cost $20 each year to re-activate.
* I don't have to buy a dish; I can lease it and the receiver, but if I did so, I'd be stuck paying shipping to send the equipment back after the end of the season.
* If I purchase a used receiver, I need to check and make sure the card doesn't have a balance on it.
* It's very difficult to self-install HD, so I might want to consider SD only. (I did install DirecTV several times years ago, fwiw.)

What I'm not clear on:
* Do I really have to shell out for professional installation if I purchase a used receiver?
* Can I talk my way out of the $99 account startup charge? Is that mostly an installation charge?
* Can I talk my way out of the $20 re-activiation fee each year?
* Can I use my old DirecTV dish at all with a used Dish receiver? That is, can I use it as is? As is, but with a new LNB? Where would I get the LNB?
* If I buy a used receiver and the smart card in it is too old, can I talk Dish into sending me a new one for nothing? If not, what's the charge for the new smart card?

Any ways of saving cash I'm missing? I think Red Zone would keep me out of the sports bars during the season. The question is if I can save money doing it. The up front costs of Dish -- potentially a $50 receiver, $?? for the dish, and $99 for the install -- are far from trivial, if I've got the situation down right.

TIA! :D

Last edited:
Ruf, I would think that would be a great waste of effort and money. You KNOW that dishnetwork has already thought all those possibilities out, long ago. I would suspect they would 'fee' you to oblivion with a scenario like you want, probably more than a years worth of continuous service would cost. And what's wrong with the sports bar? LOL food , drink and plenty of company!

You KNOW that dishnetwork has already thought all those possibilities out, long ago.

I think the deal here is that the receiver, dish, and activation might be steep, but would be sunk costs. If I can spread that installation, used receiver, and dish fees out over several years of having Dish for four months, it wouldn't be as difficult a pill to swallow. If I can get rid of the $99 activation/installation, I think I'm in.

I'm also not willing to sign up for a contract. I'd quickly pull the trigger on 4 months of $45 for 120+ and $7 for Red Zone each year. Just wondering what the additional overhead shakes out to be. :up

And what's wrong with the sports bar? LOL food , drink and plenty of company!

I'm married with kids. They prefer I stay home. :D We did have Sunday Ticket for a while years ago before the hoodlums showed up, but I can't justify spending that kind of fee now. Red Zone is so cheap, though, that I'd like to make it happen.

Buy a FlexTV receiver and install the dish yourself. No contract and you can cancel anytime. Starts at $99.

Depends on the retailer. I've seen it as low as $99 for receiver only including activation.

peano -- interesting choice. That does sound like essentially what I want to do, though I can't find out much about it. Is there a FlexTV specific receiver?

Best threads about Flex seem to be these:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/187074-dish-network-flextv-questions-21.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/183389-flextv.html

* Should a used receiver work with this?
* Any idea on dish reuse (using an old DirecTV dish and LNB)?

Not much about FlexTV on the net and Dish's site. There's a bit on Flex24, but that's obviously not what I want (or what you're suggesting). Did find a dead link about prepay:

The DishNOW/DishYA Pre-Paid program has ended. Existing customers please call 1-888-347-4132 to continue DISH Network service.

That first thread also makes it look like a bit of a hassle. Not sure DishNetwork's phone staffers know much about Flex. Ultimately, it looks like the same thing as adding service outside of a contract.

Is is possible to have just locals during non sports seasons? If you own the equipment you should be able to have the Locals Only package.

yes if you own the equipment there is no contract and you can get just locals...I think its like 12 bucks a month

peano -- interesting choice. That does sound like essentially what I want to do, though I can't find out much about it. Is there a FlexTV specific receiver?

You can select any receiver. The first one must be purchased from a retailer and it must be designated as a Flex receiver. You can add your own new or used receivers after that. You can sub to any programming Dish offers.

The best description of FlexTV can be found on dishmyhome dot com.

You can select any receiver. The first one must be purchased from a retailer and it must be designated as a Flex receiver. You can add your own new or used receivers after that. You can sub to any programming Dish offers.

The best description of FlexTV can be found on dishmyhome dot com.
I tried to set up a flextv account about three weeks ago with an owned 301 that I used to use for dish now and was told that they no longer offer flextv accounts.

As I said it has to be a NEW receiver designated for FlexTV by the retailer. Retailers are still offering it so I doubt it is cancelled.

I'm interested in getting Dish with Red Zone for four months out of the year (for Monday Night Football, ESPN, and the Red Zone channel during the NFL season), then cancel, then re-activate eight months later when the season starts again.

Any advice on the cheapest way to have service four months a year?

(I'm an OTA antenna guy, so I'd probably have the local game on the HD TV and Dish on the old tube, so SD-only is probably fine.)

What I might have learned:
* I need 120+ to order Red Zone for $7 a month.
* There might be a cancellation fee even without a contract (like $6 or something).
* It might cost $20 each year to re-activate.
* I don't have to buy a dish; I can lease it and the receiver, but if I did so, I'd be stuck paying shipping to send the equipment back after the end of the season.
* If I purchase a used receiver, I need to check and make sure the card doesn't have a balance on it.
* It's very difficult to self-install HD, so I might want to consider SD only. (I did install DirecTV several times years ago, fwiw.)

What I'm not clear on:
* Do I really have to shell out for professional installation if I purchase a used receiver?
* Can I talk my way out of the $99 account startup charge? Is that mostly an installation charge?
* Can I talk my way out of the $20 re-activiation fee each year?
* Can I use my old DirecTV dish at all with a used Dish receiver? That is, can I use it as is? As is, but with a new LNB? Where would I get the LNB?
* If I buy a used receiver and the smart card in it is too old, can I talk Dish into sending me a new one for nothing? If not, what's the charge for the new smart card?

Any ways of saving cash I'm missing? I think Red Zone would keep me out of the sports bars during the season. The question is if I can save money doing it. The up front costs of Dish -- potentially a $50 receiver, $?? for the dish, and $99 for the install -- are far from trivial, if I've got the situation down right.

TIA! :D
Have you looked into getting basic cable with redzone, most companies have it, much less upfront costs and probably easier to get off contract.

If you sign up for FlexTV it will cost $149 for the activation and $100 per solo receiver or dual tuner receiver. You should be able to reactivate when you want for a fee each time.

Have you looked into getting basic cable with redzone, most companies have it, much less upfront costs and probably easier to get off contract.

Unfortunately we've only got one set of cables in our neighborhood's right of way, and they don't have Red Zone.

I did find a pretty good list of Red Zone providers, however.

If you sign up for FlexTV it will cost $149 for the activation and $100 per solo receiver or dual tuner receiver. You should be able to reactivate when you want for a fee each time.

I had a guy from Affordable Entertainment in Houston quote me $110 for a 111 receiver without an activation fee, and said that he could refund $75 of the $110 if I sign up for autopay, even if I ditch in 4 months. So he's telling me it'll cost $35 to get set up plus the price of the first month's service, which is about $214 cheaper that your comment.

Sounds a little too good to be true. Any opinions there? Anyone heard of ae-tx.com? They have a pretty good rating on eBay but their ad to hire sales staff is a little squirrely in that it too sounds a little too good to be true, kinda like this offer. (eg, starts with "HUGE COMMISSIONS!")

Everyone offers different pricing for Flex. Scherrman's numbers are the highest I've seen quoted. I would try AE if you can get it in writing.

Forgive me, as I am new to Dish programming. Is Red Zone channel a "substitute" for Sunday ticket? It must be a really watered down version at 7$ a month. Perhaps just a channel that swings from game to game when the play gets close to a touchdown?

As for FlexTV, I signed up for 200$ which included a 211k, the activation fee and installation.

Forgive me, as I am new to Dish programming. Is Red Zone channel a "substitute" for Sunday ticket? It must be a really watered down version at 7$ a month. Perhaps just a channel that swings from game to game when the play gets close to a touchdown?

Correct.

As for FlexTV, I signed up for 200$ which included a 211k, the activation fee and installation.

Tony Kornheiser has said on his DC radio show that once you try Red Zone you can't go back. I used to have Sunday Ticket at D*, but really can't justify that sort of outlay. Still, I think Red Zone will be good enough to keep me home from the bar, and 120+ for four months would be nice too...

Red Zone has also gotten especially good reviews on the Redskins message boards, ExtremeSkins.com.

It boggles the mind.....

weak OTA signal makes 211k freeze??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)