Charged for Switch as part of Install!!!

jetsetter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
I had a third receiver (722) installed - also leased - from Dish the other day. They had told me about the $99 upgrade fee for adding the third receiver, which I had no problems with.... I already have a 622 and a 211 receiver - all leased from Dish.

When the installer showed up and looked at my configuration, he said that I need to have a DPP44 switch, which he does not have on him, so he will have to reschedule. He informed me that he will have the DPP44 added to my workorder and I should wait till the following day and reschedule a new appointment, since it was Sunday evening already.

I called on Monday and they confirmed that I indeed now had a DPP44 on my workorder and scheduled my new install. On the scheduled install date, the installer came and did a great job of installing everything, as I had hoped.

Today, when I checked online, I was surprised to see that there's a charge of $199 for a switch and $99 for the receiver....

So, my question is this - should I have to pay for the switch - Shouldn't it be part of the install? I was NEVER informed by DISH or anyone that I would have to pay for the switch.....

I wanted to get some feedback, before I called customer service - so any suggestions are welcome...

Thanks

I had a third receiver (722) installed - also leased - from Dish the other day. They had told me about the $99 upgrade fee for adding the third receiver, which I had no problems with.... I already have a 622 and a 211 receiver - all leased from Dish.

The switch is supposed to be included in the upgrade.

of course it should be included, without it, you can';t get their service!

Curious here. When I had my service installed dish told me that each tuner counts as a receiver, hence his 622 and 211 actually makes 3 receivers and adding a 722 makes 5 receivers.

When I had my service installed which consisted of 2 dual tuner receivers and a single tuner receiver Dish informed me that there installations only supported up to 4 receivers. To get the 5th I would need the DP44 switch which I would have to pay for. Did I get screwed?

No, the charge for the dpp44 is legitimate but in the OP's case the service rep failed to look at his account and notice that he needed a new switch.

First, the 44 switch is NOT included in the install. SOMETIMES they will waive the charge, other times they will give you two 34 switches. Also, their policy is to limit the account to 4 leased TUNERS. In this case you have 5 leased tuners, or did you trade in the 211 for the 722?

In either case, the 44 switch and any other necessary hardware will always be billed to your account, most times with an equal credit appearing on the same bill. Even as a new connect the dish, lnb(s), and switch are listed on your first bill and then credited back. Maybe your bill will have a credit when it comes.

email ceo@echostar.com

The switch is supposed to be included in the upgrade.
CSott that's not necessarily true. He DPP44 i sonly included on installs requiring 4 orbital slots. For example. I am in a 118.7 DMA fro HD locals. IF a customer orders HD service in a 4 orbital slot DMA, a D-1000 plus kit is installed and the 44 switch is included. In DMA's where only three slots are required, the customer gets a D-1000.2.No switch. Since this customer already had HD services and no switch I can only assume that the swicth was not needed.
Looks to me like there was a cable routing issue in which a 44 switch would make that install much easier or even possible. In that case I would call Dish and get a 44 switch added to the W/O and insure that there would be no charge to the customer. Dish will do this now without any headaches where as in the past the only way we could add the switch without the customer being chartged is if Winback did the addtition. That policy no longer exists. Dish apprently has seen the light.
I would imagine in this case, the tech simply installed the switch and left the customer to pay for it.
I am a bit puzzled over this though. I actually need more info from the OP to determine the outcome.
Info such as the zip code, what dish(es) he has now. Whether or not there are any obstructions, etc.

CSott that's not necessarily true. He DPP44 i sonly included on installs requiring 4 orbital slots. For example. I am in a 118.7 DMA fro HD locals. IF a customer orders HD service in a 4 orbital slot DMA, a D-1000 plus kit is installed and the 44 switch is included. In DMA's where only three slots are required, the customer gets a D-1000.2.No switch. Since this customer already had HD services and no switch I can only assume that the swicth was not needed.
Looks to me like there was a cable routing issue in which a 44 switch would make that install much easier or even possible. In that case I would call Dish and get a 44 switch added to the W/O and insure that there would be no charge to the customer. Dish will do this now without any headaches where as in the past the only way we could add the switch without the customer being chartged is if Winback did the addtition. That policy no longer exists. Dish apprently has seen the light.
I would imagine in this case, the tech simply installed the switch and left the customer to pay for it.
I am a bit puzzled over this though. I actually need more info from the OP to determine the outcome.
Info such as the zip code, what dish(es) he has now. Whether or not there are any obstructions, etc.

I am in 33558 Zip - I already had two dishes - for Locals/HD/International programming - a Dish 500 Pro and a Dish 500, either without any obstructions.... The installer did say that I can get two additional dishes (for a total of four) as an option to the DPP44...Of course, that I declined as it was even ridiculous to suggest that I have a total of four dishes mounted to get my programming...

Even with four dishes you would still need a switch to combine all four signals into a single line and the installer if he actually suggested this is off his rocker.

I am in 33558 Zip - I already had two dishes - for Locals/HD/International programming - a Dish 500 Pro and a Dish 500, either without any obstructions.... The installer did say that I can get two additional dishes (for a total of four) as an option to the DPP44...Of course, that I declined as it was even ridiculous to suggest that I have a total of four dishes mounted to get my programming...
wow!! That is fantastic. In a bad way..That configuration would still require a dpp44 switch.

With my 722 I got a DP-44 and about 500 feet of cable to install it myself. I was not home at the time so the installer left it with my wife.

All I wanted was the cable to hook up two room of the SD side of my 722 and 622.

Another DP34 switch would have been included in the install/upgrade. You could have cascaded the existing DP34 to the new DP34, but he may have had to run another cable for the 722 if there was just 1 exisiting cable from the receiver you are upgrading.

Let's be clear, and I know this form personal experience:
If this is a Dish Upgrade, then there is never a charge for the switch, unless a contractor is trying to cheat you. There may be charges for not exchanging a box or additional cable runs that are beyond the upgrade, such as adding a box in addition of the upgrade, but not the switch. As a rule, a Dish upgrade will always include all costs (labor, switches, additional dishes, whatever) so that you continue to receive the same channels and service to all TV's as before the upgrade, and that means EVERYTHING. If the sub is adding more than that, then they may have additional charges.

An example: My aunt had a 508 (leased), 301, and 522(leased). She wanted to upgrade to an additional dual tuner DVR, the 625. Dish was very clear, if she wanted to keep the 508, there would be a one-time fee of about $50 for the box, or she could exchange the 508 for the 625 and have NO ADDITIONAL FEES other than the flat upgrade. In either case, Dish would not charge for ANY additional equipment to make the system function properly, including all switches and cable runs (I have had others upgraded the additional fee route for keeping the box that will exceed the 4 tuner limit, and Dish DOES provide all necessary switches, cable runs, dishes, EVERYTHING!)

My Aunt chose to exchange the 508 for the 625, and keep her owned 301. Her configuration at that time absolutely required at least a switch or some additional hardware from Dish to accommodate the new 625 along with her 522 and 301. Dish again, assured that ANY additional hardware required would be provided at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, as always has been the case in may experience.

Well a contractor, not Dish company, installer shows up for the upgrade, takes a look at the set-up and says, "Well, I'm gonna have to charge you for some additional equipment to make this work." I then asked if he was a Dish company installer or a contractor. "I'm a contractor." "Oh, I get it," I said.

After explaining to him that Dish guaranteed all hardware and labor is included and they know her configuration will require additional equipment, he was very insistent that in his experience that is NEVER the case and that we PAY.

Finally, exasperated, I asked, why he was being so obstinate, and he said in a loud frustrated voice, "Because this job is gonna require switches and diplexers and I don't want to pay for it!" It was at this point that I threw him out of the house, and he was really angry.

I promptly called the Executive Offices and told them the whole sad story of a contractor trying to shake us down for EXTRA money in his pockets, and that I had been through many upgrades and Dish have never required extra fees (except for instances mentioned above). The CEO CSR was extremely apologetic and stated that the installer was absolutely WRONG about additional charges, and that Dish is supposed to provide all the hardware and labor.

We were promptly rescheduled, and this time the installer knew right away that there is to be no additional charge for ANYTHING on this upgrade. However, his base had told him to ask if we use the 148 for international. They were hoping to use 148 for the new 625. They were obviously trying to minimize their cost so they could keep more of the fee Dish was paying them to do this upgrade. I responded, "Uh, we will not allow the loss of 148; figure out how to make this work." Then base told him to ask us if we would mind a 3rd dish to accommodate the 625. We had no problem with that, but I knew this was another move by the base to keep more of the fee Dish is paying them for themselves. Switches can be more expensive than a dish (Yes he had switches--he could have used them).

I could have called Executive Offices again and MADE the contractor put in necessary switches to minimize the gross number of dishes on her roof, instead of the 3rd dish on the roof. That is how Dish installers would have done it. But the 3rd Dish was not an issue.

I do know of at least one honest, high quality independent Dish retailer. Unfortunately, every other one had been somewhat dishonest. That is a shame.

For the four dish 'solution' mentioned earlier, it could work without switches. Currently the OP has a dish 500 with a DPP Twin pointed at 110/119 and another dish 500 with a DP Dual probably pointed at 61.5 (locals and internationals). This setup can only feed two receivers, but if you put up two more dishes with the same LNB's you could feed two more receivers without any switches whatsoever. It may seem rediculous, but I couldn't tell you how many extra dishes and LNB's I throw away each week, and it all it takes is a couple free dishes to get an install in I'm all for it.

Let's be clear, and I know this form personal experience:
If this is a Dish Upgrade, then there is never a charge for the switch, unless a contractor is trying to cheat you. There may be charges for not exchanging a box or additional cable runs that are beyond the upgrade, such as adding a box in addition of the upgrade, but not the switch. As a rule, a Dish upgrade will always include all costs (labor, switches, additional dishes, whatever) so that you continue to receive the same channels and service to all TV's as before the upgrade, and that means EVERYTHING. If the sub is adding more than that, then they may have additional charges.

An example: My aunt had a 508 (leased), 301, and 522(leased). She wanted to upgrade to an additional dual tuner DVR, the 625. Dish was very clear, if she wanted to keep the 508, there would be a one-time fee of about $50 for the box, or she could exchange the 508 for the 625 and have NO ADDITIONAL FEES other than the flat upgrade. In either case, Dish would not charge for ANY additional equipment to make the system function properly, including all switches and cable runs (I have had others upgraded the additional fee route for keeping the box that will exceed the 4 tuner limit, and Dish DOES provide all necessary switches, cable runs, dishes, EVERYTHING!)

My Aunt chose to exchange the 508 for the 625, and keep her owned 301. Her configuration at that time absolutely required at least a switch or some additional hardware from Dish to accommodate the new 625 along with her 522 and 301. Dish again, assured that ANY additional hardware required would be provided at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, as always has been the case in may experience.

Well a contractor, not Dish company, installer shows up for the upgrade, takes a look at the set-up and says, "Well, I'm gonna have to charge you for some additional equipment to make this work." I then asked if he was a Dish company installer or a contractor. "I'm a contractor." "Oh, I get it," I said.

After explaining to him that Dish guaranteed all hardware and labor is included and they know her configuration will require additional equipment, he was very insistent that in his experience that is NEVER the case and that we PAY.

Finally, exasperated, I asked, why he was being so obstinate, and he said in a loud frustrated voice, "Because this job is gonna require switches and diplexers and I don't want to pay for it!" It was at this point that I threw him out of the house, and he was really angry.

I promptly called the Executive Offices and told them the whole sad story of a contractor trying to shake us down for EXTRA money in his pockets, and that I had been through many upgrades and Dish have never required extra fees (except for instances mentioned above). The CEO CSR was extremely apologetic and stated that the installer was absolutely WRONG about additional charges, and that Dish is supposed to provide all the hardware and labor.

We were promptly rescheduled, and this time the installer knew right away that there is to be no additional charge for ANYTHING on this upgrade. However, his base had told him to ask if we use the 148 for international. They were hoping to use 148 for the new 625. They were obviously trying to minimize their cost so they could keep more of the fee Dish was paying them to do this upgrade. I responded, "Uh, we will not allow the loss of 148; figure out how to make this work." Then base told him to ask us if we would mind a 3rd dish to accommodate the 625. We had no problem with that, but I knew this was another move by the base to keep more of the fee Dish is paying them for themselves. Switches can be more expensive than a dish (Yes he had switches--he could have used them).

I could have called Executive Offices again and MADE the contractor put in necessary switches to minimize the gross number of dishes on her roof, instead of the 3rd dish on the roof. That is how Dish installers would have done it. But the 3rd Dish was not an issue.

I do know of at least one honest, high quality independent Dish retailer. Unfortunately, every other one had been somewhat dishonest. That is a shame.

First off, let's be REAL clear. I don't care who you are and who you call, as a contractor you're not gonna MAKE me do anything.

Dish network will provide the NECESSARY switches free of charge, that's correct, but in her case the NECESSARY switch would have been a DP34, which would have required a second run to the existing 522 and two lines to the new 625. That's a royal pain in the ass, that's why the first contractor wanted you to purchase a DPP44. The 3rd dish on the roof was the best solution for both parties.

twin circular lnb with 301.10 receiver

Which package on DISH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)