Chaparral Sierra 3 question

rsellers1971

Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
KY
Do these drive the actuator? They have a selection fir satellite up and down but i can't figure out where they would tie the wires in on the back. Thanks

Do these drive the actuator? They have a selection fir satellite up and down but i can't figure out where they would tie the wires in on the back. Thanks
Looks like they do - there's a whole section in the back with push connectors for the actuator (labeled "MTR"), the sensor and the polarotor (if using one)

1721310608258.png

Reactions: FTA4PA
I thought that might have been part of it, i bought this thing used just to drive the actuator and the polarotor. Does anyone know the wireing schematic for the actuator? It appears to have two main wires and three smaller. Thanks

MTR / MTR terminals provide DC voltage for the actuator and attach to actuator motor terminals. These are reversed depending the required motor drive direction. Example: if the East Key on the IRD drives the dish West, reverse the wires. Usually use 14 or 12g stranded wire.

Sensor / +5V terminals attach to the actuator reed switch terminals and shield around these two wires is connected to GND terminal, but left open (unattached) at the actuator. Typically use 16 or 18g stranded wire.

Reactions: Brct203
Looks like they do - there's a whole section in the back with push connectors for the actuator (labeled "MTR"), the sensor and the polarotor (if using one)

View attachment 172844
That receiver does move the actuator, you should have 4 wires coming from actuator,3 wires from the feedhorn. If you want to check it. Connect the actuator to the receiver before you put on dish. However, it's not that simple, if you don't know what I mean don't do it. If you do only hook up motor wires, and hold the end of actuator, or it will lose count.

Shouldn't it be reprogrammable no matter where the actuator happens to be as far as extension at the time? I.e., set new limits- move dish west press enter, move dish east press enter...? As long as the positioner can read the movement monitor/counter (magnetic reed switch, Hall effect sensor, opto sensor, 10-turn pot, etc.)

Do you mean the actuator or receiver, the actuator counts by magnet's, passing by opposing magnets, if you disconnect the small wires that are used to count you can trick it into the position you want it to. then replace the wires. I assume you set the east and west limits on the actuator. You dont want to " flip the dish" thus damaging the actuator.

Edison Mio Plus 4K FTA Receiver for sale

CBand 10ft Dish setup question