Channel Guide - Interesting. . . .

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
A very good installer was here today. 722K, nice unit. I have a question on the channel guide. Bring up the guide and it may say A & E with a channel number. Below that is may say A & E HD, with the same channel number. How can the same channel be SD & HD? Also, when you get up into the 9000+ list you can find these stations listed again. What is with the duplicates?

RT

The legit channel numbers are the 9000 (or 4000) area. They are "mapped" to the SD channel. Your locals are like that too. They are in the 5000 or 8000 area and mapped to the channel numbers you know (2,4,5,etc)

Directv is the same way (HD & SD show in the guide on same channel) but you can hide the SD dupes. I **think** you can now do that on a Dish receiver. The receiver knows if you select the SD channel to go to that satellite and the HD one to go to that satellite that the HD channels are on

The legit channel numbers are the 9000 (or 4000) area. They are "mapped" to the SD channel. Your locals are like that too. They are in the 5000 or 8000 area and mapped to the channel numbers you know (2,4,5,etc)

Directv is the same way (HD & SD show in the guide on same channel) but you can hide the SD dupes. I **think** you can now do that on a Dish receiver. The receiver knows if you select the SD channel to go to that satellite and the HD one to go to that satellite that the HD channels are on

Exactly right.

Some of the receivers just got a software update that lets the receiver only display the HD channel when available.

This is the way the DIRECTV hd box worked when I tried it a few years back. IF there was an hd version the sd version was removed for access from the guide. No clutter or duplication in the high channel numbers for hd or sd versions , just low channel numbers in hd. Worked great and now DISH is finally catching up with DIRECTV on this one.

The only channels on the Directv guide that shows both a SD & HD are the part time sports channels (the ones that are only there for games like FSN Houston, Wisco, Utah etc) and FSN Cincy/Ohio. These have a -1 after them

On the dish receivers (before the update) did it show both the SD & HD version of a local channel in the guide? Not one that you would get OTA but locals through Dsh. So as example in Minneapolis did it show
CBS 4 (the SD version)
CBS 4 (the HD version)
ABC 5 (SD)
ABC 5 (HD)

??

On the dish receivers (before the update) did it show both the SD & HD version of a local channel in the guide? Not one that you would get OTA but locals through Dsh. So as example in Minneapolis did it show
CBS 4 (the SD version)
CBS 4 (the HD version)
ABC 5 (SD)
ABC 5 (HD)

??

You know, this has been one thing that has baffled me for quite some time. Since back when I first got DISH HD, only the HD locals would be mapped down when available. SD-only channels were properly mapped. To get to the SD version of the same channel, if it was available in HD, I had to go in the 8000s. It was like this for a very long time. Then, one day, after a glitch that removed all of my HD channels (HD Platinum glitch,) I requested a hit from DISH, which fixed the HD channel problem, and from then on, I now have both SD and HD local channels mapped to their proper numbers. Weird, don't you think?

So before the reset if the HD local was available that was at the mapdown and the SD was at its "dish version" number (8000 area?. If the local was SD only it showed properly? If so that is weird....

so now with the new update does it remove the SD counterpart of the locals too if you have HD available (again through Dish not OTA)

Yeah, HD was mapped down, SD was not, if HD was available. SD-only channels were mapped properly. Now, ever since that hit (about 4 months ago,) both the HD and SD counterparts are mapped.

Nope, it doesn't remove the SD counterpart, after that hit I got. Both HD and SD are mapped down. I'll have to wait for the new software update to see if it hides SD locals when you opt to hide SD.

CBS 4 (the SD version)
CBS 4 (the HD version)
ABC 5 (SD)
ABC 5 (HD)

??

The LIL display had settings that one could select to display ONLY the HD at the map-down, etc. Actually quite a number of display options that also included only OTA being displayed at the low numbers and HD at the high or combination, etc (I have one DVR set this way so I am always certain to use an OTA so as not to take up a sat tuner unless I have to). So, in other words, the new update just expands the various HD/SD display features that was available on the LIL from just about day one years ago. And it is about TIME!

Yes, it's great that you no longer have to lock out the SD mapdown channel numbers if you only want the mapped down HD channels to show in the guide but what about the 9000 series channel numbers? What about an option to hide those as well? I redid my channel locks last night and I'm still locking out a bunch of channels in the 9000's. It would be great if that wasn't necessary. The same applies to the non mapped down local channels. My SD locals are in the 82XX's and my HD locals are in the 64XX's. Locking out all of the duplicate 94XX's, 95XX's, 82XX's and 64XX's meant locking 163 channels. Seems to me they could expand the hide option to eliminate these duplicate channel numbers as well. What they've done is a great start but how about expanding it?

Yes, it's great that you no longer have to lock out the SD mapdown channel numbers if you only want the mapped down HD channels to show in the guide but what about the 9000 series channel numbers? What about an option to hide those as well? I redid my channel locks last night and I'm still locking out a bunch of channels in the 9000's. It would be great if that wasn't necessary. The same applies to the non mapped down local channels. My SD locals are in the 82XX's and my HD locals are in the 64XX's. Locking out all of the duplicate 94XX's, 95XX's, 82XX's and 64XX's meant locking 163 channels. Seems to me they could expand the hide option to eliminate these duplicate channel numbers as well. What they've done is a great start but how about expanding it?

When you make a Favorites List you can select which channels you want to see?.;)

rca dss satellite and dish network

PAY FOR STANLEY CUP and NHL Playoffs if you have DISH RIPP OFF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)