Channel encoding (MPEG 2, MPEG 4, etc)

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hey guys --

I've seen lots of references to the channel encoding, for example MPEG 2, MPEG 4, etc. I know what these are in relation to computer media and DVD's, but how can I tell what encoding a channel uses? Also are differences in encoding the reason why when I delete say an hour long program it doesn't give me a full hour back on the Time Remaining in the DVR?

Just curious --

Sam

Almost everything on Eastern Arc is in MPEG4. On the Western Arc only the HD channels are in MPEG4.

The times shown are just estimates. If you delete a MPEG4 recording you will only get a few minutes back (as MPEG4 is a lot smaller) while an MPEG2 you get your full hour back. :)

There is a list (The List?) that has all the channels listed and what encoding and modulation scheme is used. You can't really tell by observation of the picture what encoding or modulation scheme being used. Also, if you record any OTA digital HD channels using one of the ViP boxes, you will notice you get a great amount of time back on the HDD as broadcasters use MPEG2 and at a higher bit rate for the HD main channel than Dish uses for any of its channels. However, a lower bit rate with proper hardware and software in the sat box using the higher compression MPEG4 and the 8PSK Turbo Coding could produce a better PQ than most of the broadcasters are sending out now, especially if they have other channels multiplexed on the stream.

Most channels on the Eastern Arc, both SD and HD, are encoded MPEG4 while all SD is MPEG2 and all HD is MPEG4 on the Western Arc.

Re-program remote

Estimate monthly bill for Dish America w/ 722?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)