Changing default sports package

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
With the 180 package comes 2 regional sports. I have MSG and FoxNY. In this area, Fox Pittsburgh is the network of choice of most. Our local AHL team is followed there and, when the NHL is in operation, our NHL affiliate is there.
So, my question is, can I change one of the default regionals? Must I subscribe at $6 per month to the national sports to get this?

I believe that the sports affiliate you get is based on your geographic location. I don't think you can pick and choose which one you get.

chaddux said:
I believe that the sports affiliate you get is based on your geographic location. I don't think you can pick and choose which one you get.
Thing is, they do offer Fox Pittsburgh here and I have worked and leased equipment to them. NY is closer to us than Pittsburgh (90 mins vrs 5 hours), so it looks like we would like NY sports better. This is a triangle of metros with Steelers/Jets/Giants/Eagles or Penguins/Devils/Rangers/Islanders/Flyers fans. All are available in this area and do not get blacked out as we are just outside each.

Barry Erick said:
Thing is, they do offer Fox Pittsburgh here

What is "here?" Do you mean you qualify for both? Or, in the general New England area, it is offered? I don't live in area with more than one RSN so I'm not sure what you mean.

I guess he's saying that people in his area have fsn pitsburgh (maybe cable?) and that he's in their region of sports team, but it's not included as his sports region on Dish. This is the case for several areas, so in order to get pittsburg, yes you'll need the multi-sport package.

This link, though slightly dated tries to explain just that: http://dish.fxep.com/

It lists the channels in your RSN pack, but also lists the team your eligible outside of the RSN pack.

BFG said:
I guess he's saying that people in his area have fsn pitsburgh (maybe cable?) and that he's in their region of sports team, but it's not included as his sports region on Dish. This is the case for several areas, so in order to get pittsburg, yes you'll need the multi-sport package.

This link, though slightly dated tries to explain just that: http://dish.fxep.com/

It lists the channels in your RSN pack, but also lists the team your eligible outside of the RSN pack.

They have FNS Pittsburgh here on Cable, DirecTV and Dish net. I have a close friend with Dish that has Pittsburgh with the regional package, and I had it with Adelphia and DirecTV. So I know I can get the RSP but don't care for tons of sports, so I would rather use it inplace of either MSG (which I have not viewed once) or FSN NY (which I viewed tonight for the first time).

In looking at the link, it has to be wrong as my zip and the zip of several I know that have FSN Pittsburgh on DIsh (besides those with it on Direct) is not on the ok list of the Penguins or the blacked out list of the Penguins.

My zip, btw, is 18612 and the various ones are all 186xx through 187xx I do the Penguins booster Club newsletter and have the mailing list that I just used to check the zip codes. The friend with dish and FSN Pittsburgh is at 18702

Barry Erick said:
With the 180 package comes 2 regional sports. I have MSG and FoxNY. In this area, Fox Pittsburgh is the network of choice of most. Our local AHL team is followed there and, when the NHL is in operation, our NHL affiliate is there.
So, my question is, can I change one of the default regionals? Must I subscribe at $6 per month to the national sports to get this?

Evidently, you are in the same boat as we are in Central IL. In our area, DBS gets ONLY FSN Chicago (& CSNC), but if we also want FSN Midwest, (which EVERY cable co around here ALSO carries) you have to sub to the "sports pak" on either D* or E*.

The only way you can get around this is to "move" your address to an area that would change your RSN to FSN Pittsburgh. BUT, you have to be careful, as it might also change your locals that you get. I have several customers that have done this here to get FSN Midwest, as they are Cardinal fans & this way they don't have to shell out the extra $$$ to get them. ;) ;)

I guess DBS strikes the deals with RSNs for certain zip codes even if additional zip codes are in the home market for the teams they carry. They limit this because the more viewers that watch the RSNs means that DBS has to pay more money...

Questions on Multi-TV Setup

811 locals vs 311

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts