Changes channels on it's own

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1oldsalt

Original poster
May 9, 2012
SoCal
This is driving me crazy. I'm on a boat and have Directv. Being in a marina there are many boats that come and go and generally there are never any problems but now and again this issue comes up.
My Directv receiver will change channels on it's own. I know it's picking up the signal from someone near by. They change channels and my receiver changes to their channels. I change back to my channel and they change back to theirs. The winner is usually the one with the most stamina. It has happened when I have traveled to other marinas as well.
It does not happen on the receiver below deck in my cabin only up top where exposed to other boats.
I searched the phrase "Directv changes channels on it's own" and came across an "ehow" remedy which is to reset the "remote address". Unfortunately I don't have the prompts in my setup menu that are talked about.
Does anyone have an answer as to how I can make this problem go away?

Thanks in advance.

Receiver model -- D12-100
Remote model -- RC65

The D12 has two IR addresses, 00001 & 00002. To switch, start by programming code 00002 to either av1 or av2 device:

1. av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 2

Now slide back to the directv device on the remote, and enter the menu of the receiver:

Menu> Settings> Setup> Remote> Receiver Mode:

1. you will see either DIRECTV or AV1/AV2, click on whichever to reveal both at the same time.
2. press AV1/AV2, the remote shouldn't work any longer, now slide to AV1 or AV2 whichever has code 00002
3. Press Done, and now exit the menu

Now program the directv device with code 00002:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 2

And program av1 or av2 for whatever

Last edited:
Thanks Edmund, I just programed per your instructions. I will have to wait until tonight to see if it works. Whoever it is is not watching tv during the day. Leaving the tv on all day to see if it changes.

Hoggyz3357 - Thanks, that's good to know. The dish is a KVH MK-5. Hopefully won't have to get a new LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Attaching Dish to a tree

Fed up with Directv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)