CFL customers may lose Local6

stevenl

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Disney World
On Jan1st Ch 6 may go blank in CFL, it seems local6 now wants to charge BHN per sub for the channel. Yes you heard me right an OFF AIR FREE channel wants to charge to be on the cable system. (I know others like sinclair broadcasting have been doing this all over) but if ch6 doesn't change its mind I can assure you BHN will take it off the air. Then local6 can deal with the ratings loss of 1million customers.

I acutely like local6 news but I don't want to pay for it, when I can hook up an antenna and watch it in HD for free... Why would I want to pay for the STD version?

Yea its sad this is happening all over the nation. People wonder why their sat, cable, etc bills are so high. These channel owners are getting way to greedy.

Well I think Sinclair broadcasting has been doing it all over the place, charging customers for their "free" channel. That is why you see a lot of posts about them on this site, with other cable companies. Its just crazy they expect people to pay for something that is "free" with no extra value added to the consumer.

Is it not true that if Ch 6 leaves BHN, the only people that will see it are the OTA folks?

Oh, I guess they are carried on the sat packages. Do the sat companies pay to carry it? If so, there would seem to be a parallel. But I would hate it, because the cost would of course be passed on to me--and since profit is usually targeted as a percentage above costs, I'd pay cost + overhead + profit.

Well, atm Sat does not pay for it. I am assuming they would try to make sat pay for it as well. Maybe not. Im not sure if Local6 is going after The sat companies as well, I would assume they are trying BHN first to see how it goes, then work their way to the sat companies. I think local6 got a urge in their pocket reporting on this FSN/BHN ordeal, and saw dollar signs perhaps attacking while one is open.

Im glad you "get it" though jcarrera, because BHN Dish Directv etc etc DO NOT PAY FOR ANY CHANNEL. It doesn't cost them a single DIME. You, me and millions others pay for it. BHN has not paid a penny in its life for a channel, each and every customer they have pays for it. So its not BHN's bill that will go up, its yours and mine. (well not mine i get free cable) But yours!

So, I wonder how much of a hoopla it would create if I was to say that even though I work for BHN, I have Satellite?!! So this won't affect me.

It is sad the fact that they feel that they should get paid per subscriber and not a flat out fee. It just goes to show that even though the CEO of a company gets a 500k bonus at the end of the year that it's never enough.

Speaking of BHN and Ch 6, I am watching the UF - FL State game on 6 right now, and the picture quality is simply awful--watchable, but fuzzy...not sharp or clear at all

Well, I clicked over to the game on Ch 7 and it is the same. 28 is the same.

Guess I am back to the same issue mentioned the Brevard (CFL?) Color change! topic.

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, and what a game, specially the Tenn UK game prior. Fla is killing FSU :) Teabow for the Heisman for me!

I hope BHN does not give in to Local6. Lot of advertising revenue lost for 6 the longer it lasts. Of course, the timing is perfect since the college bowls and NFL playoffs will be in play. Cheap antenna works fine.

Well they are doing the same thing FSN did. Clearly planning it around a time when demand would be high for the channel. I enjoy local6 news over the others but I wouldn't want to pay for it if I can get it free on an ant.

Guess I'll have to try some ears. Wife will love one more piece of junk in the the entertainment center area--already cluttered.

Of course, it might improve my PQ problem on those stations too.

Hello my name is Chris Berry and I've been monitoring this forum for a little while. BH is still negotiating with Local 6. They will stay on air with Bright House at least for the short term.

BHN Insider

So, if I read this correctly, the entire channel will go off the air or just the news programming? So, those that don't live within the area or close to a tower, we will lose CBS programming? I live in an apartment and I can't get a satellite, due to the location of my apartment, no line of sight for the dish.

There is an extension and if local 6 did go dark, cbs programming could be viewed on other channels. YnR could be viewed on SoapNet, CSI on A&E etc... Also many of the episodes can be downloaded free from CBS.com.

BHN Insider

FiOS Triple Play Prices Rise For Some

Really confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)