Can I return 811's to Dish and buy my own?

lvn098

Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
I am paying (or leasing) the two 811 receivers from Dish and wonder if I can just cancel HD package, return the 811's and buy my own 811's on Ebay? Will this work? Do I still have "few" HD channels or they will be gone?

There are only 5 HD channels and I am paying about $15 extra a month for that.

The HD pack and Leasing 811's are unrelated. if you cancel the HD pack tnt,disc,espn,hdn,hdnm will be gone and if you send the 811's back you wont have the ability to see them anyway.

Yes, you can. However.

The last time I looked at 811's on ebay they were selling for more that $300.

If you buy your receivers to use them you'll pay $4.99 each saving only 2 cents a month.

The HD pak is only $10 not $15 per month.

The only HD channels you'll get wuthout the HD pak are: any OTA local you may have and HBO or Showtime IF you subscribe to either of those.

Thanks for the reply, next question if I can buy my own 811 and use it on a 3rd TV in my bedroom? Dish only knows my first 2 TV's, not this 3rd one. Will it work?

If your receiver is not authorized, like in letting Dish know you have it, you'll get channel 101 and a few other FTA channels. So, no, it won't work.

If you want to watch programming in the 3rd room dish will know. Reason being is that each receiver has a different Reciever ID and Smartcard ID. Thats how they link that reciever and activate it to your account. I am sure there are other ways, but that is one example. If dish doesnt have the "3rd" tv receiver activated, which that one would be the one you bought, you wont be able to watch programming. Hope that helps.

Output Level from 322 TV2 Modulator

Very happy with my 522!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)