Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I am sure this has been answered already but I can't find it so I apologize in advance for the duplication. I have some expertise in the E* gear but am new to FTA.

I notice from lyngsat.com that there are a lot of free channels on 121. I already have a dish pointed there, and I am getting the Superdish 121 "congratulations" channel.

Is there any way my existing Dish Network receiver will let me view the free channels, the ones that aren't a part of their package, or do I need to start looking into the FTA-specific receivers?

That's what I was afraid of. Anybody can recommend a cheap one? Or if I'm going to have to spend any substantial amount on it I want a DVR.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Well since you mentioned it, there was a super slick FTA DVR unit someone posted a link to, it was a while back. Sounded very, very nice but it definitely wasn't cheap. For cheap, there's the $60 basic one you can get on eBay. It's very limited though. Look in the reviews section for Iceberg's review of it.

The only channel on 121 that is Free to Air is the "Congrats...you have a superdish"

There are channels in Free Preview (a few of them)...but you need a subscribed to receiver to get them

A FTA receiver will just get you the "Superdish" screen....unless you modify the box and we dont go there :D

Iceberg said:
The only channel on 121 that is Free to Air is the "Congrats...you have a superdish"

There are channels in Free Preview (a few of them)...but you need a subscribed to receiver to get them

A FTA receiver will just get you the "Superdish" screen....unless you modify the box and we dont go there :D

Well what's all that stuff in the top of the page at lyngsat?

http://www.lyngsat.com/echo9ia13.html

For example, 4100V tp 20 ?

duh. C-band. That ain't happening, the wife already complains about my antenna farm in the backyard outside her kitchen window. I guess a great big one could obscure the view of all the little ones. :D

Guess I'll look at the channel lists a bit more carefully and start looking for a receiver.

Sure would be nice to be able to integrate FTA into the E* guide similar to the way SkyAngel does it but I guess that is because they are actually uplinked from the same place. Plus, looking at it from a business perspective it would be stupid of them to practically give away equipment that people could cancel the sub on and still get stuff for free.

I did a scan yesterday and one Asian channel is on 121W FTA Scans in as TV 676

11955 Mhz(V)
SR:20.000
Video/4130
Audio/4131
PCR/4130

Jiangsu TV

yep that one's been there for a while :)

Also found out the superdish slate changed TP's to 25...have to scan it in tonight :)

Pepper,
If you are going take up this hobby, a cheap receiver may not be the best way to go. I bought a Traxis DVB 2500. It's a great receiver with a great picture, at a good price, but it has one big problem - No blind search capabilities.

Look for a package deal that gives you the dish, the receiver and a motor. You won't regret doing this up front. Or you could be like me and learn the hard way.

I first tried using an 18 " dish. No good.
Then I bought a 30" dish and an LNB

I still do not have a motor, but I plan to buy one after Christmas. If I would have bought a package deal with all of this, I would have saved probably $30 to $50 in shiping costs.

Spend time on this site and do your homework. You won't regret it.

rjc3895 said:
Pepper,
If you are going take up this hobby, a cheap receiver may not be the best way to go. I bought a Traxis DVB 2500. It's a great receiver with a great picture, at a good price, but it has one big problem - No blind search capabilities.

Look for a package deal that gives you the dish, the receiver and a motor. You won't regret doing this up front. Or you could be like me and learn the hard way.

I first tried using an 18 " dish. No good.
Then I bought a 30" dish and an LNB

I still do not have a motor, but I plan to buy one after Christmas. If I would have bought a package deal with all of this, I would have saved probably $30 to $50 in shiping costs.

Spend time on this site and do your homework. You won't regret it.

very good advice :)
I was in the same boat
-Got a simple receiver (Viacast 2000)
-used a 18" dish to get ExpressVu audio (before they scrambled alot of it)
-Then got a 30" and ghetto moved it
-Got a 2nd dish
-Upgraded receiver
-motorized it

now I'm set (almost)

I had the privilege of spending 2 weeks in Minnesota in Februrary 2000. The temperature reached -20 during those two weeks. Currently here in Maryland were are experiencing 35-40 degree temps at night, and I hate going out to manually move the dish. The cold weather gives me enough incentive to buy a motor, but I must wait until my Christmas money arrives courtesy of Mom and Dad :D

last year we had a couple mornings where it was -30 :D

The first time you go to move the dish from SBS6 to G3 when its freezing out you think twice about getting a motor :D

Iceberg said:
last year we had a couple mornings where it was -30 :D

The first time you go to move the dish from SBS6 to G3 when its freezing out you think twice about getting a motor :D

I know that feeling, you spit and it freezes before it hits the ground.

Wholeshoe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IBM Ultrastar FTA receiver

SatMex5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)