Can I Connect 3-LNB and single LNB dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garddog32

Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
I have some trees in my yard that are causing me problems. I cannot find a spot where I can get all three SATs with my 3LNB dish. I can get either A and C, or B and C. The only option that I can see is to mount a single LNB dish where I can get SAT A, and my 3 LNB dish where I can get B and C, then use a multi-switch to combine the signals. Does anyone know if this will work? Any other options?

Thanks.

I would think the 5X8 switch should work. Not 100% sure though.

i also can not get Sat B on my 3LNB.

I get 0% for signal on it. I think a tree might be in the way. Maybe a dish move is in order, but i would like to make sure it is not the dish before i move it around.

I think the only way you will know is if you move your dish. Can you put it on a pole in a bucket?

I think I have read in other posts that if I use a multi-switch with a 3-LNB dish, all four inputs have to be connected. If that is true, then there is no input left for the second dish if I use a 5X8 switch (assuming 1 input on the switch is for the OTA antenna). Can anyone confirm this?

Theoretically, I would think that connecting the two standard ports of the multi-switch to your round dish pointed at 101 and the two kHz ports to your phaseIII dish pointed at 110 and 119 should work to get all three birds. It's got to be at least worth a try and report back with the results.

It didn't work. :(

I could see SAT A on both receivers, but I could not get SAT B or C on either receiver. Does anyone else have some ideas?

Thanks.

I don't have a phase3 switch but was told this would work with that, also.

I have the RCA DSR8900E dish with 3 lnb's and the external 4x4 switch. I can't see the 119 from where I can see 101 and 110 and vice-versa. I have a round dish on the property line getting sat B and just put a dummy to fill the 119 lnb hole on the 8900.

I removed the multiswitch from the back of the dish and mounted it in my garage.
At the multi-switch, the connections are just like they would be on the dish if it could see all. Sat A goes to the two sat a inputs. Sat B goes to the combiner with SAT C and the other SAt B input. All is fine.

My neighbor has the phase III with the same problem. Using the 5x8 multiswitch from Terk and the combiner (from RCA) allows SATB dish from my back yard to feed his system and use just the Sat C/B feed from the PhaseIII. This is possible as there is no
signal on the Sat B from the PhaseIII .

Thanks for the reply!! It sounds like the piece I am missing is the combiner. But, I'm not sure what you mean by a combiner. I want to make sure I purchase the right thing. Do you happen to have a model number?

Thank you very much for your help.

There are two ways to skin this... the first (and simplest) is the method you suggest in the original post: put your Phase III in a spot where you can get both B & C, with a standard dish where you can get 101, and combine the signals at an external cascadable multiswitch, with two cables from the standard dish to the 101 inputs, and two from the 22khz inputs to the Phase III.

Or, put the Phase III where you can get A & C, and the std dish at B. This is more complex, as you then must acquire the B/C signal combiner, which is hard to found outside of the Sat-C kit (which is overpriced for just the combiner, as it also includes the sat C LNB). For directions on wiring that, look here.

When you say it didn't work, were you trying the first method? If so, was the multiswitch you were using cascadable?

I was trying the first method. I have a Trunkline multiswitch. I've checked all the documentation I could find and it doesn't mention being cascadable, so I bet it isn't. I'll see if I can round one up. Thanks again for your help!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hughes HD box question

Black out for regular programs on Ch 80

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)