Came home to Hard Drive Failure?

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
After a week on vacation came home to the Hard Drive Failure screen. After several plug resets it's back up and working. Max temp is only 131 on diagnostics. Any ideas.

Downloading to the ehd as I type.

Some info would help. What model receiver? Did you receive an update to the software either before you left, or while you were gone? Is the guide correct, all the way out to about 8 days? It definitely is wise to download anything important.

dwarren2 said:
After a week on vacation came home to the Hard Drive Failure screen. After several plug resets it's back up and working. Max temp is only 131 on diagnostics. Any ideas.

Downloading to the ehd as I type.

I would contact a member of the DIRT team and order a replacement DVR.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Some info would help. What model receiver? Did you receive an update to the software either before you left, or while you were gone? Is the guide correct, all the way out to about 8 days? It definitely is wise to download anything important.

722 with L767. Same as when I left a week ago. Guide is correct but timers are only showing for about 8 hours. Has been running about 3 hours now with no problems. 722 was replaced last Feb.

722 with L767. Same as when I left a week ago. Guide is correct but timers are only showing for about 8 hours. Has been running about 3 hours now with no problems. 722 was replaced last Feb.

Until it does reboot the guide won't dnld. I hope that you can get everything off to EHD quickly as it may go belly up when it does reboot. After you get everything off you might try a ck switch to see if it dnlds guide or locks up.

dwarren2,

I think you meant L 6.76 on the software version for the 722 receiver. Please let us know if we can assist you when you get the replacement receiver. Have a great 4th!

dwarren2,

I think you meant L 6.76 on the software version for the 722 receiver. Please let us know if we can assist you when you get the replacement receiver. Have a great 4th!

Received the replacement this AM. Up and running. Just have to connect my ehd and wifi adapter. Made more room above it in my stand. Also purchased a laptop cooling fan to put under the 722.

Received the replacement this AM. Up and running. Just have to connect my ehd and wifi adapter. Made more room above it in my stand. Also purchased a laptop cooling fan to put under the 722.
These laptop fans are not very effective. You need a fan that will suck the hot air from the left end corner of the receiver. See my solution, http://www.satelliteguys.us/59186-average-622-722-temperature-thread-yours-99.html.

If you cannot use my solution then this is a good alternative Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics

Do you have a link to that fan. I got the Themaltake but it won't fit in my cabinet.
As I said, I tried a bunch of different fans and this combination was the best. Aside of this fan being a high velocity and quiet fan the advantage of it is that I attached it directly to the case slots as opposed the any other configuration where it sucks only the nearby ambient air. It lowered my receiver's temperature by 20°. Remember, you have to cut the fan connector and solder a standard USB connector instead.
1 pcs Brushless DC Cooling Blower Fan 7530S 5V black | eBay

Do you have a link to that fan. I got the Themaltake but it won't fit in my cabinet.

As I said, I tried a bunch of different fans and this combination was the best. Aside of this fan being a high velocity and quiet fan the advantage of it is that I attached it directly to the case slots as opposed the any other configuration where it sucks only the nearby ambient air. It lowered my receiver's temperature by 20°. Remember, you have to cut the fan connector and solder a standard USB connector instead.
1 pcs Brushless DC Cooling Blower Fan 7530S 5V black | eBay

If you still have the Themaltake fan, from the picture it looks like its cable assembly may fit the connector of the blower fan, so you may not have to cut the connector and solder a new USB connector. Just make sure, the polarity of the two wires match, Black to Black and Red to Red. If they don't match, you can carefully switch the wires by gently pressing the latching tabs of the pins, pulling the wires and switching them.

upsss said:
These laptop fans are not very effective. You need a fan that will suck the hot air from the left end corner of the receiver. See my solution, http://www.satelliteguys.us/59186-average-622-722-temperature-thread-yours-99.html.

If you cannot use my solution then this is a good alternative Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics

Been using solution 2 for a couple of years. Works like a charm.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Been using solution 2 for a couple of years. Works like a charm.

Ross
In each case, the solution can be different.
It all depends on your environment, ambient temperature, air flow restriction and noise tolerance.

Airflow and cooling are important to the 722. Consider a 3" or so, computer fan to blow in the small air vents on the right side. If it is too noisy on 12 volts, try a 9 volt power supply. Some people are using exhaust fans on the left side.

Should I upgrade my Dish 1000 for travelling?

Big Cable doesn't want Sling