Caller ID on 522 fails to show number, though phone does...

syphix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
I have a couple of numbers (cell phone numbers) that show up as "Unavailable" on the name and number on my 522, although my landline phone's caller ID shows the number, just not the name. Does the 522 conk out "Unavailable" when the name is not present, but the number is?

MODS: please move this to the 522 forum...sorry for the mispost.

I still had 202 yesterday, and I enabled the caller ID thing. I called my house from my cell phone, and it said unavailable. It didn't say "PRIVATE", because I disabled that, but it just said unavailable/out of area or something like that, which is weird because I'm not out of the area. It must not work right or something. That was the only phone I tested with.

Syphix, what kind of phone connection is your 522 hooked to? Some wireless phone jacks are known to interfere with Caller ID.

Rolandv, do you have a Caller ID device other than the 522? If so, what did it say? "Unavailable" or "out of area" may appear if your wireless carrier (or an intermediate carrier, such as a long-distance company) doesn't provide your Caller ID info to your landline carrier; though the FCC says they're supposed to, it doesn't always happen properly. (I know that's not syphix's problem because his landline phone's Caller ID worked properly.)

My wireless phone number appears on other peoples caller ID's so I don't think that's it. I am using a wireless phone connection from the wall to the receiver. Sounds like other people connected straight to the wall are having this issue though.

I've noticed the same problem with CID on my 522 from day one. Two of the most frequent calls to my house are from a Cingular cell phone and a Cricket cell phone. Both callers show up on my CID-enabled handsets as "unavailable" but gives the phone number on line two. On the 522, it simply shows "unavailable" on lines one and two. My phone cord runs directly from the wall jack to the receiver.

I've seen the problem now on my own 522, and apparently syphix's first hunch was right: If the name doesn't show up, neither does the number. I had a call from one friend whose phone returns only the number; it came up on my phone, but not the 522. Yet another call with both name and number worked fine...

djmav said:
I figured that I would add that it impacted these models as well instead of opening up another one.

Understandable. It's a software issue that I've personally informed the engineering department about during a software beta test. It even affected them when attempting to do a call-in to the receiver to obtain data. The 522 was to "answer" the call upon recognition of the number. Unfortunately, the number never displayed because the "Out of Area" name apparently trumps any other data.

DP811 and Signal Problem

Whats the diffenence between a 522 & 625?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)