Cable question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogstar1313

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Tennessee
Looks like my cable run is probably going to be in the neighborhood of 175 feet, maybe a bit less. Does this classify as a "long run"? Should I spring for quad shield RG6 or will regular RG6 be just fine?

Good quality (Solid copper) RG6 should work FINE!

I once ran a line around 300' for a customer with no problem!

If your really worried about it get RG-11 (if you can find it). It is a thicker coax about the size of your index finger. I have it in my system just because it was free!!!!!!

Wholeshoe

Is the RG6 cable that comes in those RCA satellite self-install kits any good? I found a place where I can pick up one of those kits on the cheap.

If its a complete cable run it should be OK the last thing you want is any breaks or joins in such a long run of RG6.

Well, there will be one join at the grounding block and there may be another one inside in a crawl space area too.

My situation/plan is this:

There is already a run of burial quality RG6 (at least it is labeled as such) coming from the cellar to the outside via the back porch where it is attached to an existing grounding block (don't know the rating of the block) which I had hoped to use. My plan is to attach to that grounding block with the RG6 that I buy now and run it over to the eave of the garage about 56ft away on a guy wire. I plan on mounting my soon to be purchased FTA dish to the eave of the garage. The total run would be 150ft max, maybe less. The grey areas lie in the fact that I am unsure of the length of the RG6 that is already in the house because there is some of it coiled up under the house in what was once a coal bin (my house is 125yrs old btw) before it emerges onto the back porch and between the cellar and living room I think there is a coupler or splitter because the cable coming from outside through the cellar is labeled differently from the one coming up through the living room floor. I guesstimate the existing run to be between 50-75ft. and I will need to add at least another 60ft of new RG6 to that in order to reach the eave of the garage as I mentioned earlier.

With that background info what would you recommend I do?

I would try to run all new cable if you can, at the very least remove the excess cable, and the splitter/coupler will HAVE to be removed.

I agree with PSB, if you run all new cable then you know what your working with and therefore it is one less thing that might be causing a problem.

My 2 cents

Wholeshoe

Will the eaves of the garage handle the weight and remain stable as the dish rotates, as well as in the wind?
I have boxed-in eaves on my house, and still put a stiffener 1x6 all along the section where I was going to put two little dishes.
I used lag bolts to secure everything in place, into the ends of the rafter tails.
It's been fine for two years, but I only have a 20" and 18" dish, well below the peak of the roof.
Nice 'n low to work on, and not visible to most, as it's in the back.

Well I won't know for sure if the eaves will handle the weight until I try to do it I suppose, but I think it will be OK. I'm using an eave mount very similar to this one: http://ronard.com/34424560.html . I plan on using a 2" mast. I'm going to be mounting a Winegard 76cm with QPH-031 LNB and a SG2100 motor to it. My only other easy option would be to mount it to the roof of the garage, but I really don't want to do that because it has a metal roof, but I can if I have to. If you see any flaws in my plan please let me know. I take constructive criticism very well :)

That looks a lot more sturdy than I envisioned.
It'll carry considerably more load than my 1x6 stiffener.
Good work!
Do you take compliments, as well? ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fortec Vs. Pansat

New to FTA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)