Buying new box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Okay, I am putting the Mercury II on the self and going to but a new box. I am thinking of the Pansat 4500. Would anyone know if this box would blind scan any better than the Mercury? I don't care about the speed but I have notice the Mercury misses a lot. Also, does the Pansat have a good motor control, the Mercury never gave me any trouble.

If the 4500 is anything like the 9200 then this may answer your question.

I have a 9200HD and I personally don't like the Pansat motor control setup menu, the box seems to drive a motor well but fine tuning the motor position is crude. Blind scan works very well but it too will miss one or two on ocassion. I personally like the Captive Works 600 premium for finding sat positions because it has the auto position mode and stops when it finds the active TP on the target satellite but this box is discontinued and I'm not recommending it because blind scan doesn't work period. Then I highly recommend the Coolsat line of stb's for both motor control and blind scan features, I have a CS 6100p and simply love it, many other Coolsat owners will testify of their models as being a preference above other brands. Also consider if a HD stb is in your best interest, SD stb's will soon be a relic in this new age technology and if you have a HD TV then go with a HD stb. So it would be wise to read reviews on the various brands and make your descision but compare all reviews of each model, not all reviews are equal. you may find contradicting info and misprints are common when shopping for receivers. Do your homework before buying. This is my opinion for what it's worth. Good luck

Hi, why put the Mercury II on the shelf? If you have a HD TV you might want to consider getting a AZbox Elite and hook it up to the loopout from the Mercury II. That way you can blind scan and anything you find that will not play on the Mercury II should work on the AZbox.

That's what I do and I'm quite pleased with the results.

Later, DC

Thanks for the two answers. They both gave me more to think about. The HD Box I didn't consider much because I don't see a lot of it in use and only slowly being utilized. I never looped a receiver before so that would be a new one for me.
I do like my Mercury and the only reason I want another is because like most people, I think the STB on the other side of the fence is better. Been using this box for a little over two years and it works very well, just thinking there may be something better. HD maybe the next step for me since it is only a matter of time SD goes dark. So, I will hold up and read some reviews and also look at the AZbox and then most likely post again.
Thanks again! Rich

SD isn't going dark ;)

I use a Coolsat 5000 for blind scanning and then load the HD/4:2:2 channels into the azbox. Works great!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help me explain...

When is AMC 4 getting replaced?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)