BUD or ku-band?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kenner

Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
north central florda
As a beginner to FTA, SatelliteGuys impresses me as the place to visit for helpful information, friendly advice and interesting discussions. Any and all assistance is appreciated in advance. I'm located in N central Fl on 1 clear acre. I was going to start with Ku-band package but now have a chance to get a BUD(no receiver) free. It appears to be in good cond. but current owner knows nothing about it. I would have to move&install(no installers near me). Assuming I get it up and running(and that's a big assumption) is it possible to add a Ku-band LNB to dish? Is the distance from dish to receiver affect reception? Can a splitter out of receiver be used to reach tvs in other rooms? One receiver better than another for c/ku?
I realize as a newbie the Ku-band package would be the most practible approach but I enjoy a challenge. Anyway, I'm always open for suggestions.

Some old BUDs are conducive to adding Ku.
I still prefer separate dishes, same as in HiFi equipment; optimize each piece.

Show us well-lit pictures front/back/sides of your BUD and we can offer more suggestions.
There are also many stories describing how we moved BUDs.
Any will provide a wealth of info (see my signature for two)

You don't normally use splitters, but rather switches to hook up multiple receivers to multiple dishes.
We have a FAQ on the subject, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
You probably need only a simple arrangement, which will become clear as we go on.

What distance dish-to-receiver are we talking about?
200 feet shouldn't be a problem.
300 or more might be into the special-care department. :)

For receiver, I'd get a microHD from SatelliteAV (or one of his dealers)
It's a good universal solution, and very reasonably priced.

Nothing better than free BUD:) Both mine are transplants and both are outfitted for C/Ku reception. (see signature for links)
Geosat Pro microHD is a great little receiver
Welcome to the Forum!!

Bud and Ku!

Ku is possible on most BUDs but requires extra time to accomplish with satisfactory results. Dish tweaking and feed optimization may require an extended period of time. Buds have to be 'right on' to even see the Ku, while on C band is a lot more forgiving (although some signals require it to also be very close to a 'gnats A55' also) Quicker to set up and make operational, with better results, with separate dishes. (especially for a 'first timer').
Starting with a Ku package will give you valuable experience for when the BUD is ready to make operational.

Thanks for the input and think I'll get my feet wet with a Ku package first and then later the BUD. If I try too much at once I'll just get frustrated. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you for suggestions. I tend to agree with your advice and believe I'll start with a Ku package. I haven't done any research on BUD but want to move it before my source changes mind. Did not see any mfg labels at first glance but didn't have the time. Appreciate your input and keep you updated.

I haven't done any research on BUD but want to move it before my source changes mind.
Did not see any mfg labels at first glance but didn't have the time.
Yes, get it while the gittin' is good! :)

Dont worry about labels or markings.
Get us those pictures.
We have a lot of members who recognize the more popular dishes, and a few old time installers who know the most esoteric dishes.
Someone (probably many members) can tell you how desirable your BUD is or whether you should pass.
If its mounted in an awkward location, we'll have ideas how to get it down.
Don't miss out on this resource: post those pictures.

iPhone 4

Thanks for the input and think I'll get my feet wet with a Ku package first and then later the BUD. If I try too much at once I'll just get frustrated. Thanks for the advice.

NOOO. Free is always a good price. Go get the C-band dish and put it in your shed. Ask questions later. Take pictures before you dismantle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Galaxy 16 at 99.0°W

is this stab hh120 real?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)