Brasilsat B1 questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
I have equipment in the mail, the dish is up, but I have a question on my true south bird Brasilsat B1. I am using a 1.2m channel master with an 18inch jack. From what I have read some people say go to my true south or my farthest out bird. Question is from the part of the country I live in and from what I understand I may not be able to to pick up Brasilsat B1 instead I may be able to pick up AMC-6. Could someone clairify this for me. I live in Raymond Maine zip code 04071.

Thanks/Bob

Maybe someone can correct me on it, but from What I can tell AMC6 is going to be my best bet everything before that seems to be too south for me. Anyone got any suggestions on which transponder would be best?

Anole and avgjoe thanks for those post! I did try to search but sometimes depending on how crafty you are with your search terms. Anyways My current setup is a 1.2m channel master with a 18 inch jack 20 feet up on my 50 foot tower. Right now I am waiting for a pansat 7600 lnbf, traxis 3500 and a legacy 2 to move the dish.

thanks/Bob

Hey, RidgeRunner

I spent a few weeks in Caso working at HoopCamp on the lake.. And my ex-wife was from Windham.. I live in Sangerville..

Great to have another Mainer here..

oh ya

yep Casco isnt that far from me two towns over not familiar with the camp but there are a lot of camps in this area plus my folks live in Windham. I know where Sangerville is as well havent been there a lot but have passed thru and been near it enough times, I go to sebec lake sometimes and my buddy has a camp over in dexter so that usually gets me up that way atleast once a year. Hopefully as long as the weather is good I should be motor'in the arc and watch'in some FTA this weekend. I'll post some pics on the whole project when I'm done.

-Bob

Attachments

• untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 156
I use the traxis 3500 as well. Figure out how you can put the traxis and a tv within a few feet of the dish "temporarily" for aiming purposes. Talking on a cell phone to my girlfriend who was watching the tv inside for signal simply didn't work. Staring at the signal meter on the tv screen while moving the dish a little by hand, had me aligned on different satellites in minutes. I'm not sure how you're going to do this while 20 feet in the air. Maybe you could duct tape the traxis to your back and the tv to your chest and then climb...or you could mount the dish where you could reach it from the ground.

Is it time for one of those military heads-up displays?
I'm not joking, here.

You don't need the receiver, and you don't need the TV
What you do need is a way to see the TV.
....and a display mounted on your glasses, on your head, your helmet, or somehow in your line of sight is the answer.

Big projection display, and use a low cloud? :rolleyes:
Project on neighbors house?
Radio Shack sells a clock/radio with a LED-based projection of the time, so you can see it on the ceiling.

Perhaps a 3" LCD TV, duct-taped to your safety helmet, running on batteries, and receiving a wireless video transmitter from the ground, on channel 17?

Whatever the solution, this would be a boon to Dish and DirecTV installers, too.
Imagine how fast they could align a dish.
Between them and the amateur FTA enthusiasts , this could become commercially viable.

Yeah

yep Casco isnt that far from me two towns over not familiar with the camp but there are a lot of camps in this area plus my folks live in Windham. I know where Sangerville is as well havent been there a lot but have passed thru and been near it enough times, I go to sebec lake sometimes and my buddy has a camp over in dexter so that usually gets me up that way atleast once a year. Hopefully as long as the weather is good I should be motor'in the arc and watch'in some FTA this weekend. I'll post some pics on the whole project when I'm done.

-Bob

Cool...

You shouldn't have a problem with the weather as it's going to be in the 40's through Sunday.. Damn unusual for Maine..

Good luck, Bob

Well I know that putting the dish on the tower isnt the most ideal place, but I had everything I needed for mouting this particular dish to a rohn 25g. So instead of going out and buying stuff I dont need I went this route. Now with it being 20 feet up it isnt sooo much of an issue since the tower is mounted at the side of my house so if your on the roof the dish is only another 6 feet or so up from me. My climbing harness has a built in seat so I clip into the tower and pull my feet up and its like i'm sitting in a chair and I can easly work on the dish and not get fatigued. My fried also has an avcom spectrum analyzer that we can run a cable down to ground level and do our aiming that way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How To Scan in Sats with TP Freqs @ 3780 & Up

AltDVB and no lock with Cband

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)