Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

The Great American Southwest
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I've used the Birdog Editor to define dozens of transponders and make several lists for kU satellites. For some reason though I cant make any of the C-Band satellite transponder definitions to work. I can download .exe files from the birdog website and they seem to work OK but none of the ones I create seem to work. I have followed the directions in the manual that came with the software but no luck. If you have had success setting up a transponder please let me know the settings. AMC-3 @ 97W is preferable as I only have a fixed dish and thats where I'm currently pointed. - Thanks

I've used the Birdog Editor to define dozens of transponders and make several lists for kU satellites. For some reason though I cant make any of the C-Band satellite transponder definitions to work. I can download .exe files from the birdog website and they seem to work OK but none of the ones I create seem to work. I have followed the directions in the manual that came with the software but no luck. If you have had success setting up a transponder please let me know the settings. AMC-3 @ 97W is preferable as I only have a fixed dish and thats where I'm currently pointed. - Thanks

You need to swap the LNB and frequency numbers to the Birdog can calculate the correct IF frequency. Otherwise it calculates a LO below zero and doesn't work.

Here's a screen capture for finding NASA on AMC 3.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
You need to swap the LNB and frequency numbers to the Birdog can calculate the correct IF frequency. Otherwise it calculates a LO below zero and doesn't work.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I would have never thought of that. How in the world did you figure this out?

While I'm sitting around (mostly) recuperating, I got bored and sat down with the birddog editor and made a custom program for the satellites that I use and want to be able to use.

What I did was I made them so that it will tune to the specific channel that I value the most.

Like on the 83 satellite I made it so it locks to the RTV channel.
On the PBS satellite, I have it lock to the channel World.
The Cuban satellite, the channel that plays the movies at night.

etc. etc..

The default downloads that you get from their website seem to be out of date and I've had a miserable time trying to find satellites with them.
So after I made my own, now it locks to my favorite channel on each satellite and all the signal strength and quality meters kick in and I can fine tune or as you guys call it, tweak the dish for the very best results.

It took me quite a while to learn how to do these edits and I still don't understand the technology of it but I did learn how to look up the info the editor needs and paste it in so it works. :D

I still don't have a Cband dish put up yet but *I think* that I have a few of the ones I want edited in properly as well. If not, well now I have the info thanks to you guys.. :D

:)

While I'm sitting around (mostly) recuperating, I got bored and sat down with the birddog editor and made a custom program for the satellites that I use and want to be able to use.

What I did was I made them so that it will tune to the specific channel that I value the most.

Like on the 83 satellite I made it so it locks to the RTV channel.
On the PBS satellite, I have it lock to the channel World.
The Cuban satellite, the channel that plays the movies at night.

etc. etc..

The default downloads that you get from their website seem to be out of date and I've had a miserable time trying to find satellites with them.
So after I made my own, now it locks to my favorite channel on each satellite and all the signal strength and quality meters kick in and I can fine tune or as you guys call it, tweak the dish for the very best results.

It took me quite a while to learn how to do these edits and I still don't understand the technology of it but I did learn how to look up the info the editor needs and paste it in so it works. :D

I still don't have a Cband dish put up yet but *I think* that I have a few of the ones I want edited in properly as well. If not, well now I have the info thanks to you guys.. :D

Dee,

I've found the the pre-configured downloads are out of date as well. I was ready to sell my BirDog when one of the other SatelliteGuys came along and told me about the editor. Now I can set it up the way I want it.

If you are using the default settings I STRONGLY recommend that you make the following changes.

RF dBuV
BER=x.xxE-x
BER Log

Your meter will be more sensitive on the FTA satellites. The default settings are more in line with the higher powered pay services.

Also, using the "Carrier to noise ratio" display will allow you to peak your dish very accurately. See the following Tech Tips for more information.

Birdog Satellite Meter

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

Dee,

I've found the the pre-configured downloads are out of date as well. I was ready to sell my BirDog when one of the other SatelliteGuys came along and told me about the editor. Now I can set it up the way I want it.

If you are using the default settings I STRONGLY recommend that you make the following changes.

RF dBuV
BER=x.xxE-x
BER Log

Your meter will be more sensitive on the FTA satellites. The default settings are more in line with the higher powered pay services.

Also, using the "Carrier to noise ratio" display will allow you to peak your dish very accurately. See the following Tech Tips for more information.

Birdog Satellite Meter

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

Oh, what are those settings??

I have one of the old style birddog meters, I think one of the first kind. (I found out if you hold the power button when you turn it on it shows you the version and the batter level. :) )
Is that something that I change on the meter with the buttons or is that something I can put in with the editor?

Thank you! :)

Attachments

• IMG_7182.resized.JPG
    IMG_7182.resized.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 294
Oh, what are those settings??

I have one of the old style birddog meters, I think one of the first kind. (I found out if you hold the power button when you turn it on it shows you the version and the batter level. :) )
Is that something that I change on the meter with the buttons or is that something I can put in with the editor?

Thank you! :)

Read the instructions on the link I posted above.

Basically, when the unit is turned off, press the OFF button for the options menu. Scroll down, when you want to change something use the left or right arrow to select. When finished scroll back up to the top, highlight EXIT and left or right arrow.

Read the instructions on the link I posted above.

Basically, when the unit is turned off, press the OFF button for the options menu. Scroll down, when you want to change something use the left or right arrow to select. When finished scroll back up to the top, highlight EXIT and left or right arrow.

Woo Hoo! Thank you! This is too cool!
And to think, just a month ago I was cursing this thing and regretting that I had bought it.

Now of course it's dark and rainy out so I can't testify yet how this affects things but I'm going to sure find out tomorrow!

Thank you so much! :D

Mine wouldn't work exactly the way your picture shows. I had to check IQ Swap and then it worked.

I would like to try this editor out on my meter, but i can not find it on the Bird Dog downloads section.Can anybody tell me were i can get it? Thanks

You would need to email the Birdog people and ask for it. Tell them how great it is but you need to set up your own transponder information. They'll send you the manual and the software.

You would need to email the Birdog people and ask for it. Tell them how great it is but you need to set up your own transponder information. They'll send you the manual and the software.

I have ordered one of these on E-Bay, so it is used. Will Perfect 10 still send me the software and the manual for it?

I have ordered one of these on E-Bay, so it is used. Will Perfect 10 still send me the software and the manual for it?

Yes they will. I bought mine used from a friend of a neighbor, it came with nothing at all.
I emailed the company, explained to them the situation and asked if they would be so kind as to send me a copy of the editor so I could set up for FTA, that I want to tune the dishes to specific channels and they were more than happy to send me the editor along with a pdf manual on how to use the editor.

Thanks Dee Ann,

Did you ever get your Bird Dog to start finding the C-Band signals? I will probably have a lot of questions about the Birddog when I get ready to use it. I have been reading the excellent thread that you started about how to install a C-Band dish. It was the 6' WSI that you got. There is a lot of great information in there for people like me who want to try this out for the first time. I have a friend that is going to help me, and he is big into amateur radio and used to work in communications for a radio station. He put his own C-Band dish up back in the VCII days, and got it tuned in, of course that was back in the analog days when you could just scan around and find a signal with the receiver by sight. He has not messed with all of the new digital stuff though, so it will be a learning experience for the both of us.

Thanks Dee Ann,

Did you ever get your Bird Dog to start finding the C-Band signals? I will probably have a lot of questions about the Birddog when I get ready to use it. I have been reading the excellent thread that you started about how to install a C-Band dish. It was the 6' WSI that you got. There is a lot of great information in there for people like me who want to try this out for the first time. I have a friend that is going to help me, and he is big into amateur radio and used to work in communications for a radio station. He put his own C-Band dish up back in the VCII days, and got it tuned in, of course that was back in the analog days when you could just scan around and find a signal with the receiver by sight. He has not messed with all of the new digital stuff though, so it will be a learning experience for the both of us.

Yes, I did get the Birddog to see C band, it was just as was mentioned further back in the thread, that you have to reverse things in the editor for it to work. I don't understand the reasoning behind that but it is what it is.
Just about the time that I got the Birddog figured out though, I ended up buying another little meter that actually has a full FTA tuner and tv built in so that I could stand right there at the dish and watch tv on it. That was the best thing since sliced bread for me! Between those two meters and the little $10 squealy meter, I've got it covered. I don't have any problems finding satellites now, my only problems are now motorized dishes as getting it to hit every satellite on the arc is tricky. At least it is for me. But let me tell you, once you can edit the Birddog yourself you'll find it suddenly becomes much more useful. I think the company focuses on pay TV services and European stuff and they don't worry too much about the files they distribute being up to date for American FTA..

Good luck! :)

I ended up buying another little meter that actually has a full FTA tuner and tv built in so that I could stand right there at the dish and watch tv on it. That was the best thing since sliced bread for me!

What do you call that little thing? I might look on E-Bay and see if I can find one. I dont think that you can ever have too many meters to find what you are looking for up there :) Thanks for your help. I will probably require much more of it in the coming weeks.

Yes, I did get the Birddog to see C band, it was just as was mentioned further back in the thread, that you have to reverse things in the editor for it to work. I don't understand the reasoning behind that but it is what it is.

Here's a basic explanation: the local oscillator (or LO) LNB frequency for C-Band is 5150MHz. To lock a transponder at 3720MHz you would subtract the 3720 from 5150 to get 1430MHz, which is the frequency your satellite tuner actually looks at. If you subtract 5150 from 3720 you would end up with -1430 and the Birdog won't know what to do with it because that is a negative number. Thus why you reverse the numbers.

What do you call that little thing? I might look on E-Bay and see if I can find one. I dont think that you can ever have too many meters to find what you are looking for up there :) Thanks for your help. I will probably require much more of it in the coming weeks.

Here are a few threads discussing this little meter along with photos and instruction manuals.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/249800-3-5-lcd-signal-meter.html#post2503401

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/258653-editing-cables-kpt-966-sat-meter.html

Beware though, there are some meters on ebay that LOOK like pro meters but they have GAMES built in to them.. Um, that is far, far away from being a professional meter.

In the first thread a few similar models are discussed. I can't testify to the other models but the one I purchased was labeled as a "kpt-966" and for me, it works well and I find it to be extremely useful. Apparently it's a knock-off of a "Trimax 2200"..

If I could afford it, I would have preferred the real thing because it allows you to edit the thing with a pc, the knock-off does not. You get what you pay for I suppose...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problems with newspath 99w

"Wild Feed" Idiot !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)