Big Dish Pictures!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
I had an install to do round the corner from this cable companies down-link facility and just had to stop and have a closer look, these dish were 10-15' across! Hey they almost have as many dish as Iceberg!

Attachments

• Pict0008.JPG
    Pict0008.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Pict0007.JPG
    Pict0007.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Pict0005.JPG
    Pict0005.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Pict0004.JPG
    Pict0004.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 159
I'll eventually have a big dish one of these days :) I'd like a solid dish cause they look cool, but I'll probably be going with a mesh.

Kool dish farm PSB!!!

Now you are gonna have to answer a whole bunch of FTA questions cause you are FTA king!

I agree with Diamond Jim,

I worked in a little cable system on a dish a couple of weeks ago trying to pull in the HITS transponders on G4R on an aluminum dish and for kicks we switched things over to a mesh dish and looked at the signals on the spectrum analyzer. The mesh dish showed considerably more noise although the carriers were relatively at the same level as the spun aluminum dish we were comparing it to.

I wish I has taken the cable along with me so I could have of saved some screen shots of my findings.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe at the Ku band wavelength less signal is reflected back toward the focal point of the dish. Also mesh dishes are made in sections or petals and are not as perfect of a dish shape as one made out of 1 big sheet of aluminum.

Wholeshoe

If I had a choice to get a dish I'd rather have a professional solid dish, but I can't seem to find one.

They are out there a lot of them. It doesn't have to be spun aluminum it can be a fiberglass dish.

On a side note if I scan it I will post a spun stainless steel dish that I saw in Wisconsin. I know a guy who used to install them and he said they had to paint them flat black because the mirror like surface reflected so munch heat that it would literally burn up LNB's.

Wholeshoe

just added a 6th dish over the weekend :)

Got a DirectPC dish (thanks Pete!!) and have it installed for G3...North Dakota Hockey & Football :)

Wholeshoe said:
I know a guy who used to install them and he said they had to paint them flat black because the mirror like surface reflected so munch heat that it would literally burn up LNB's.

That is true. During March and October the sun aligns it's self at a ceratin angle and the heat rays reflect off the satellite to the dish causing big time heat. It starts about noon on the eastern satellites and moves west disrupting the the signals for about 15 minutes per satellite. I have never had a problem with melting LNBs and feedhorns, I think it's because of my location, but I have seen pictures of ones that were melted to the core. I do move the dish to the first satellite to the East of the one I am watching, just as a precaution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Double checking my plans before the install tomorrow. Help?

New Coolsat 4000 Plus like the Pansat 2500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)