Best "focal length" to mount LNBF on dish feed support arm?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bluejay

Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Hi!

I was about to mount my new QPH-031 LNBF to the Feed Support arm of my Winegard DS-2076 when I noticed that the Feed Support LNBF bracket has slots to allow about an inch movement towards/away from the actual dish.

The LNBF neck is also longer than the part of LNBF bracket that attaches the LNBF to the Feed Support bracket. This additional neck space would also allow about an inch movement towards/away from the dish.

So, to get the best signal, I'd expect to have to mount the LNBF at the correct distance from the dish (focal length). But with around 2 inches to play with, where should I mount the LNBF? ...closest to the dish? ..farthest from the dish? ...split the difference? ...does it even matter?

I looked around at some of the pictures people have posted on their setup, but none seem to really highlight this area.

Thanks in advance for any help you may give!

J.J.

The rule of thumb here seems to be as far away from the dish as possible. Then watch the signal quality meter and slowly move it closer to the dish, if the quality goes down move it back to where it was. Usually the sweet spot is as far away from the dish as possible!

Most of the information I've found on the DS-2076 advises that you slide the LNBF *holder* as close to the dish as possible. Most pictures I've seen of this particular dish also show the holder as close as possible to the dish.

As for the LNBF itself, I think its probably best to slide it in and out until you get the best SQ. It can't hurt to experiment with both the LNBF and the holder, however the LNBF holder always seems to always be installed all the way in on the feed support arm in pictures of dish installations. Most LNBF holders are fixed and cannot be adjusted in the manner that the DS-2076 can be.

Keep in mind that sliding the holder away from the dish changes its elevation. This is perhaps to accommodate different styles of LNBF. The Winegard also has a 50mm neck LNBF holder that comes with the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DiSEqC trouble..

News Feeds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)