Audio Problems on Two Local Network Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Idlewild

Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
PROBLEM SUMMARY
Installed a new 2012 Sony KDL-46HX750 1080p, Internet Ready, 3D HDTV yesterday morning. Now some irregularities directly related to audio from our Directv HR24 are occuring. These problems apply only to NBC & ABC network Sat & OTA channels.

DETAILS
- During some Dallas ABC & NBC network commercials highs audio frequencies are absent. One commerical will have this audio problem yet the next is perfect. Then the next two commericals may or may not have the same exact problem. When the show returns the audio is generally fine. The next commericals repeat the problems but more than likely not in the same sequence. There is no disernable pattern.

- To make this even stranger once when the broadcast on the same network went to the next show that shows highs immediately went away. This does not always occur. Change the network channel to networks other than Dallas ABC or NBC then the audio problems go away.

- Stranger still, just to see what would happen I went into the HR24's "Favorite Channels" section and unchecked Channels 5 & 5-1 (NBC Dallas) along with Channels 8 & 8-1 (ABC Dallas). All four channels were no longer listed in the GUIDE. While on another station I mistakenly pressed "5". Unbelievably Channel 5 appears! The same with Channel 8. Saddly the audio problem was still present during the show and commerical.

- We live on top of a hill and are in somewhat of a straight line with the Dallas TV towers that are about 10 miles west of us. How could this happen and could it some how be associated audio problem?

- The problem exists on both DTV HR24 Sat and via DTV AM21

- The HDMI from our HR24 is routed to our Denon AVR 987 then from the AVR to the HDTV.

Hope you can provide some insight and solution. This is a very annoying and unacceptable problem.

If it's happening on both ota and satellite signals, then the problem must be from the broadcaster. Have you contacted your local stations?

Yes, both say they broadcast commericals in either DD 5.1 or simulated 5.1.

I just bypassed my Denon AVR and connected the Directv HR24 direct to the Sony HDTV. Using the TV's sound there were no problems at least then. When I moved the HDMI back to the Denon the commerical audio problem returned. I do not know if this is enough evidence to conclusively blame the Denon.

The simulated 5.1 may be what is causing the issue. Have you tried different settings on the Denon?

No. I would not change sound fields just for commericals yet I would for a program.

But have you tried using a different one to see if the problem persists?

But have you tried using a different one to see if the problem persists?

UPDATE

During an event (the audio problem on Ch 5) I changed the sound field to 5 Channel Stereo. The result was perfectly normal 5 Channel Stereo. To further test during another event I changed the HR24 from Dolby Digital to PCM. Again perfect 5 Channel Stereo.

Yesterday I ran the HDMI from the HR24 to the Sony HX750. I turned up the TV's volume and watched Channel 5 for about an hour. During that time there were no events.

Today I will change out my HDMI cables to rule out a cable problem.

The last test will be disconnecting the sat and OTA coaxials from the power center and run them directly to the HR24 & AM21N.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Update 10:04 a.m. Apr 2

Changed all HDMI cables to Monoprice Premium 24AWG HS. Channel 5 NBC audio problem is still present. :confused:

Since this mornings update all of my additional tests proved fruitless. I now firmly believe the problem is with the Ch 5 NBC broadcast. If NBC can't do something to solve this issue we will simply switch to another sound field during effected Ch 5 programs (not commericals). I'm very tired now so it's time to end this project.

BIG NEWS!

Recently replaced my six year old Denon AVR 987 with a new 2012 Denon AVR 1912. So far the mystery audio problems with Dallas network affiliates are gone!

I truly appreciate all the help I have received. Hopefully, this is the end. I guess time will tell.

:D

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

On Demand internet connection

3 lnb to 6x8 zinwell question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)