AT9 Dish wiring clean up question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
It seams to be warm enough today for me to go out and clean up the wiring done by the bluegrass installer. My main duestion is, I plan to run the wires down INSIDE the mast arms for my 2 dishes for the sake of looks, will this affect performance in anyway? also since the multi switch is non powered is the any advantage to moving it inside out of the weather? I know these installers are in a hurry but I want it to look as good as posible. Any one have any further ideas I can use to help clean this install up?:confused:

running the lines inside the mast will not disrupt performance. the mast can actually act as a shield against any interferance. no advantage moving the multiswitch.

Eric Goempel said:
It seams to be warm enough today for me to go out and clean up the wiring done by the bluegrass installer. My main duestion is, I plan to run the wires down INSIDE the mast arms for my 2 dishes for the sake of looks, will this affect performance in anyway? also since the multi switch is non powered is the any advantage to moving it inside out of the weather? I know these installers are in a hurry but I want it to look as good as posible. Any one have any further ideas I can use to help clean this install up?:confused:

I would say if you have the option of putting the multiswitch inside it would be an advantage for longevity since it would be away from moisture, temp changes, etc.

Do NOT run the lines through the bottom of the mast to through the arm to LNB.

1. You will have to take off the LNB in order to pull out the wires. This simple act will change the alignment enough to kill your KA signal from 103/99. I know it sounds hard to believe, but you're just going to have to trust me on this one.

2. You can't run the cabling up through the base due to extra bracing/ballast weight that the AT-9 dish has in the mast. This added metal makes it almost impossible to run all 4 lines through it. You would essentially have to remove all the connectors and thread each individual cable up through gaps between the metal brackets and the mast.

3. In order for the dish to pass a QC inspection, the bubble level included with the dish kit must be installed in order to indicate that the mast is still level after installation. As far as my region goes, it's somewhat hit or miss as to whether the installer actually does it. But if it's in there, that will also block the cables from passing through.

running the lines inside the mast will not disrupt performance. the mast can actually act as a shield against any interferance.

Interesting premise, but there's probably little truth to this statement. Any interference powerful enough to pass through the jacket, braiding, inner shielding and dielectric of the RG-6 would most likely have little problem ingressing into, through, around or off of the mast and into the cabling. In reality, most of the noise inherent in the signal traveling on coax is introduced through the LNB, leakage into connections (at splices etc.) or signal reflections at splices, wall outlets etc.

OK I got the AT9 done before dark, I did get all 4 runs inside the arm with out moving anything. or taking the lines loose on the dish end. I remobed them from the multi switch and feed them down from the top. there was no level on the dish, he used it to set the thing up but did not leave it on. I hooked everything back up and all channels are working fine and siginal strenght is the same as before I changed anything. After I get the 18 inch dish off the fascha and onto the mast and rewired (hopefully tomorrow) I will take more pictures and post them on my server.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sat Signal Strength

hd ota from directv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)