Anyway to predict signal strength?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
Since I cant post in any of the other FTA forums, I am forced to ask here.

I want to setup a dish to get AMC3, to pull in PBS-HD. I am in Southwestern Michigan, zip 49099. I have a clear line of sight to the satellite, and am curious if there is any way to know what kind of signal I would get, and what size of dish would yield that signal?

Example, could I get by with a dish500 dish, dish1000, 18", 26" (dbs dishes)? I'm not interested really in moving to pick up other sats, as I only care about HD, and the only other HD channel I saw listed at lyngsat (that was ITC) was the M Movie HD channels, but I cant believe thats really ITC. I just want higher bitrate PBS-HD, as my OTA and cable PBS channels max out at 11.7mbps. Horrendous!!!!

I looked at the EIRP maps of AMC3, and it appears I am in a "48" area on the map, with 49 being the highest listed.

Any help would be appreciated....

also to get PBS HD, you need either a receiver that can support it (700 bucks) or a PC Card :)

I'd get at least a 76cm dish

Well thanks for the quick info guys! I do plan on using a PC DVB card, just not sure which. My ultimate goal is to incorporate it into my HTPC with SageTV, with the MyTheatre DVB plugin that they have. It does support DVB-S, which is what I would need, correct?

Also, is there any other worthwhile ITC HD channels up there in Ku (between 82 WL and 123WL, my clear line of sight) that I have missed when looking at Lyngsat? any national feeds of other broadcast networks like CBS, NBC, etc, that I could get a better bitrate signal than OTA channels that are crippled with multicasted subchannels. Nothing worse than watching a show on my CBS HD channel here and only getting 12mbps because they feel they need 2 video subchannels!

Ohhh, and I apologize for posting originally in the PC card forum...Total lack of sleep the past few days left me looking at the main FTA forum screen, and only seeing the 4 sub forums, never dawned on me that there were actually posts below that!!! DOH!

Last edited:
You MAY be able to put a standard LNBF on the 26" dish and get something? I don't know how strong the transponder is for PBS. If it works it might be low and cut in and out depending on weather.

Good luck!

Kirby Baker said:
Since I cant post in any of the other FTA forums, I am forced to ask here.
I want to setup a dish to get AMC3, to pull in PBS-HD. I am in Southwestern Michigan, zip 49099. I have a clear line of sight to the satellite, and am curious if there is any way to know what kind of signal I would get, and what size of dish would yield that signal?
Example, could I get by with a dish500 dish, dish1000, 18", 26" (dbs dishes)? I'm not interested really in moving to pick up other sats, as I only care about HD, and the only other HD channel I saw listed at lyngsat (that was ITC) was the M Movie HD channels, but I cant believe thats really ITC. I just want higher bitrate PBS-HD, as my OTA and cable PBS channels max out at 11.7mbps. Horrendous!!!!
I looked at the EIRP maps of AMC3, and it appears I am in a "48" area on the map, with 49 being the highest listed.
Any help would be appreciated....

The PBS mux is notoriously weak, so it would be best to get something even larger than the 30" if you expect to view these programs on a regular basis.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Very Mux Confused

Does anybody removed my previous post?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)