Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Going to be setting up the Coolsat on my main motorized system and want to scan all the satellites in.

I can't get 30W due to a tree and dish limitations (the dish hits the arm brace on the mast which resets the motor to true south)..no I'm not moving the brace..there is 6 inches of snow on the roof :)

Is there anything KU band between 34W and 58W that I can pick up in Minnesota?

thats what I figured

58 has Cubavision but I just cant get to 30

Oh well, less movement on the motor :)

I can't believe I can get 30. The dish is just about verticle and a million trees over that way but it still comes in. Not much there I watch anyway, just fun to know you can.

Ice I don't get into the Atlantic much, afraid I might drown. But, when I do get the urge for danger or whatever, I usually find something on Pas6/3R @ 43.0w. But, when I go back it's gone or scrambled. I've always (2-3 times) scanned in something new.

Al

I saw a few Grand Prix races on 3R last summer that were being backhauled to Germany by one of their networks. That was the only thing I have ever seen on 3R...pretty sparse.

I found this thread over the new-year's weekend and was inspired to try.

I've scoured the listings on lyngsat, put in what I thought should be good transponders, but found nothing east of 61 yet. I haven't actually gotten out the compass and inclinometer yet to see if something is in the way.

I suppose maybe I got something slightly out of alignment when I installed the motor but it gets everything from 61-127 with ease. The house and trees are in the way past 127 but I'm not sure about the other direction. You guys would laugh at the way I replaced the mounting assembly on the back of the primestar dish with an upside-down Dish500 skew bracket to get it to fit the motor - but it works!

If I find anything out east I'll be sure to let y'all know.

Last edited:
I have about 6 to 8 inches on my arm from AMC 7 to my west limit. Do you think if I repositioned the arm to where my west limit is just a hair west of AMC 7 and move the extra space to the other end of the arc, that I would be able to get .58 and .61 on the BUD here in Indiana? I have about the same amount of space on the arm from AMC 6 @ .72 to the east limit, that will give me quite of bit of room, but will I be able to see the sats from my location at 47803? I don't mind taking the time to change the arm, but I don't want to have to invest a lot of time reprogramming the 922 if I can't get them.

Progress... I found PAS9 (58), more specifically the SKY MEXICO package on the mexico beam. Now to figure out why I can't get Cubavision which is supposed to be CONUS. I surmise it's because I don't have a Universal LNBF but I forget why that matters.

Anybody have a known good transponder I can try for PAS6B/3R at 43? I'm having no luck yet with 11956V/3125 (XHG Canal 4).

I can confirm that a Universal LNBF is needed for Cubavision on Pas 9 @ 58w..

Well I still haven't found anything on 43W but I did get a single transponder on Hispasat (30W): 11915V 3800SR (Manasat 1 & 2). Wonder why none of the others on the Americas beam are showing up. Maybe the dish just isn't big enough or I need a better LNBF.

I seem to have clear LOS from 30W - 127W and I can put up a fixed dish for 129. I guess I should quit complaining. :D

Last edited:
Theres a couple transponders on 30W that work....I remember when I was able to get 30W there were some channels on there that I could pick up in MN :)

If you do not have a C-BAND dish is not much on the Atlantic KU birds . The only Ku satellites that have some channels is Tellstar 12 and Hispasat

7.6 Ft Unimesh dish H-H mount, International Chaparral CoRotor ll + C/KU feed tracking from NSS 7 to AMC 7
6.3 Ft Winegard dish 18" arm with CoRotor ll C/KU feed tracking from PASS 9 to AMC 7
Tracking the arc since 1988

Last edited:
Ice,

Too bad you don't get 30W on your motorized system.

HISPASAT 1C (30W ) has more than 25 FTA Radio & TV Spanish channels and about 20 FTA Radio & TV Arabic channels aimed at NA. The Arabic channels are dublicate of what is available on IA5.

You are not missing much between 34-58

I wish I could but the way my setup is, I have a couple braces on the back of the mast and the dish gets real close to the arms...and if it grazes it, the motor goes back to TS. Also there is a HUGE set of pine trees in the way to get a decent signal. :(

Maybe I'll try again one of these days.

trees in the way....

Iceberg said:
I wish I could but the way my setup is, I have a couple braces on the back of the mast and the dish gets real close to the arms...and if it grazes it, the motor goes back to TS. Also there is a HUGE set of pine trees in the way to get a decent signal. :(
Maybe I'll try again one of these days.

While looking for a permanent home for the new dedicated FTA 31" Winegard, I found some large trees in my way!!! BEEN ATTACKING THEM on a regular basis as weather permits! Being so far west, the furthest eastern bird I can see is AMC3 since my neighbor's house gets in the way if I go further. West is clear to way past G10R

One of those trees has really gotten a going over from the chainsaw! We are tallking priorities here!! Now a Pine tree...they can get really big and they fight back! Those pine needles can hurt!
Jeff

This is old news, but I tried last summer very hard and could get nothing
between 31 and 61 degrees - though really enjoyed hispasat b c d (I think, one at
that location is gone now from 30 degrees)

Pepper said:
Progress... I found PAS9 (58), more specifically the SKY MEXICO package on the mexico beam. Now to figure out why I can't get Cubavision which is supposed to be CONUS. I surmise it's because I don't have a Universal LNBF but I forget why that matters.

Anybody have a known good transponder I can try for PAS6B/3R at 43? I'm having no luck yet with 11956V/3125 (XHG Canal 4).

Pepper: What LNB do you have that allows you to see SkyMexico? How big is your dish?

Is Cubavision the only FTA that requires a Universal LNBF?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Viewsat Extreme ***groan***

dedicated G10R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)