Anybody have a Garmin 3490 or 3590?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
My Magellan 4350 died. I replaced it with a Magellan 9165, which did not work properly and I returned it. Bought a Magellan 3055, which does not work well. Decided to try a Garmin 3590, which I think is a 5" version of the 3490.

I was unable to return the 3055, and my wife does not want it. I must now decide if I want to accept or return the Garmin which I ordered prematurely (was led to believe I could still return the 3055 to Amazon).

Anyone know anything about these models?

I have a 3790, and was thinking of getting the 3490, until I got my new car with Nav built in. I love the Garmin family.

What odd numbering. The 3490 is the replacement for the 3790. Backwards we peddle.

Neither Magellan nor Amazon will accept the return. Magellan will warranty it for a year, two since I'm a AAA member, but that's only for repairs. Of course, now I learn that I could have exchanged the 4350 for credit toward a new Magellan. What you figure, $5? ;)

Guess I'll take another long drive this weekend, before opening the Garmin, and see if the 3055 is something I can live with. If I return the Garmin unopened I'm only out return shipping. But from what I'm reading the Garmin capacitive screen alone might be worth keeping it.

I like the 6 million AAA POIs with Magellan, but the Garmin has 8 million. Surely they'll be about as useful. It's a feature we use a lot, especially to find the nearest Panera Bread while traveling!

One thing I like about Magellan, and I can't determine if Garmin has it, is something called One Touch. Once you get to the One Touch screen, which is one button push away from the map screen, you have several icons representing frequent destinations, which you set as the destination with - one touch. Much quicker than going thru the address book. Does Garmin have something like this? I see "Waypoints/favorites/locations" but that lists 1,000 items so I don't think that's it.

I realize the "traffic service" that I've paid for in advance has ads running to support it, and that I'd have to buy a $70 adapter to get rid of the ads. Not a problem because I know how little value the traffic service is - for all brands.

Just thought I'd post that I got the Garmin 3590 and it is FANTASTIC!

I need to replace my garmin before June. Battery no longer reliable and charger issues. Leery to spend more than $200 given prior experience with only getting about a year or two max out of these things. Somehow my wife is the death of them.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I understand, I really hated to go overboard on price. But this Garmin is so superior to the Magellans I've had, it would be hard to go back. Of course, I'm hoping for a lot more than 2 years, too. You might check Costco.

I understand, I really hated to go overboard on price. But this Garmin is so superior to the Magellans I've had, it would be hard to go back. Of course, I'm hoping for a lot more than 2 years, too. You might check Costco.

Wish we had Costco.

I am not sure I need a 5" screen. The screen on the Nuvi 765 is big enough - I just wish I could figure out how to stop my wife from killing these things. :)

Let's face it- we ALL have long wish lists like that.

But then, our wives probably have even longer lists on us! ;)

I have been extremely happy with my Garmins (1690, 3790, and way back 2720).

I don't understand why/how they are getting killed in less than 2 years. the 2720 I've had since 2005.

I now have a Ford Nav system in my Fusion, and there are somethings I like about it, but there are also some things I miss about the Garmin.

Also check out Amazon for decent pricing.

Let's face it- we ALL have long wish lists like that.

But then, our wives probably have even longer lists on us! ;)

LOL - I am sure.

I did notice the last time I went into the Garmin Store in Chicago that the software has changed pretty dramatically since the version I have from 18 months ago. I'll be on the market for one within the month; don't need it until we go to Florida in late June.

50? VS 75?

Spotify iPad app forthcoming? [It has arrived]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts