Any issues with using a slimline 3LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Due to LOS issues (I can't get 119 and 110) is there anything "wrong" with going with D* and only using a 3lnb? I know in my area (hartford ct) I would not get locals in SD but HD is a yes I hope, and no international packages.

I can get perfect LOS with a E* Eastern Arc install - but I really like the whole home DVR with D* and I think they have a better Android app plus slightly better PQ.

Thanks for the input

John

Just make sure it's a SWiM lnb, otherwise you won't get any guide data.

thanks as always -- I've been out of the DBS thing for almost 1.5 years.... How would I know (besides asking) the installer (local to the area from D* site) said they have done installs with 3lnbs due to LOS.

DirecTV doesn't typically shuffle stations around betweens sats do they? Plus isn't the high 'birds' part of their newer fleet?

John

If they are regularly doing SL3 installs around here in CT, they would have to be using SWiM types, otherwise no one would be getting guide data. I suspect that wouldn't go over too well! Don't worry about the channels being moved around. They do move them, but the hd channels will always be on 99 or 103, so you will be good to go.

Just make sure it's a SWiM lnb, otherwise you won't get any guide data.

Now thats not true at all. I use a non-swm 3LNB dish & I have no issues with guide data. If you have a 5 LNB installed & are only seeing 99 101 & 103 you will have guide problems, if that is what you mean.

It does not matter if the LNB is SWM or a Legacy in regards to guide data.

However, that being said if it is a new install it will go in SWM anyways.
Also if you are going MRV, it will also be SWM.

To save yourself some issues, try to make sure when you order that you let them know to put a 3 lnb on the work order instead of a 5 lnb.
Reasons being it will save you the risk of having a tech from just no line of sighting you.
Also, if the tech does put it in, it saves him from having to make a work order change or getting a waiver.

Does anyone have a link to which sats have which channels? I searched but came up empty handed

I don't, I have seen lists though but don't know where to get them.

However, although I don't know for sure I would imagine that locals that do not have an HD feed may be the only ones effected (such as PBS).

Thanks - Not going through the standard DirecTV sales line; I used the local installer look up on the D* site and found one "near" me. Sounds like a much smaller shop than D* and more willing to work with me :) The person I talked to said they typically do a standard 5lnb job; but some folks here since its hilly and tree issues plus being in the upper NE states the 110 and 119 are much lower in the horizon that a 3lnb gets LOS. When I called I was the one who asked for the 3 as well -- I just dont want to install it if it is a "frankestain" type deal which will bite me. BUT much prefer D* over E* and cable. So I am willing to make it work :)

Have you asked the local shop what you will be missing?
They may have that info on hand.

it 100% no LOS on the 119 and 110?
If not, you could ask if they will still put a 5 lnb on there as you might occasionally get extra stuff when the leaves are off the trees and so on.

OK a couple more questions....

first here is a POV capture of where the dish would be if pole mounted:

http://flic.kr/p/9jiiVg

I assume this would be a great candiate for the Slimline 3lnb swm no?

Now does the slim3 use or require "struts" or tripod like arms? As I have an older mount on the side of my house, which I could reuse and have an easier install. Buts it was for an old dishpro 500 from E* -- i don't want any more holes in the house so no support arms please :) lol

thanks
again all,
John

OK a couple more questions....

first here is a POV capture of where the dish would be if pole mounted:

LOS for DirecTV | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I assume this would be a great candiate for the Slimline 3lnb swm no?

Now does the slim3 use or require "struts" or tripod like arms? As I have an older mount on the side of my house, which I could reuse and have an easier install. Buts it was for an old dishpro 500 from E* -- i don't want any more holes in the house so no support arms please :) lol

thanks
again all,
John

I don't see any picture John. The mast needs to be 2". I don't know how big the one you have now is. The monopoles are needed due to the weight and wind load the Slimline presents.

I don't see any picture John. The mast needs to be 2". I don't know how big the one you have now is. The monopoles are needed due to the weight and wind load the Slimline presents.

Hmmm strange so the Flickr link did work? Maybe I have it set to private...

I understand about the mono poles for the bigger 5lnb slim but all of the photo's I've seen for the slim-3-swm dish don't include the poles?
How bad are ground mounted pole mounts here in CT - does the wind flex the pole at all?

The slimline 3 and slimline 5 are the exact same dish with just a different LNB.
Weight difference in the LNB is minimal.

The Dish 500 mast as all Dish network masts are 1 5/8" and will not fit the D* HD dish.
You will need a the 2" mast and mono poles are highly recommended.

The 3lnb will be clear with no worries.
Using the 5 in that spot will still get you the 110 and the 119 you are just sol in that spot.

Have you tried walking around the property a little more to see if you can bring the 119 in?
If you moved a little over and a little back, you might be able to bring the 119 in depending on how much you can move around.

You might find that you can't get an SL3 install from DirecTV, if your SD locals come from 119. The installer and the local warehouse may not even carry them. You might find that you can't get an install from DirecTV at all in your area without LOS to 119, and if so the only way you will get DirecTV is to pay for the equipment yourself and self-install, or get a local independent installer to do it.
All SL3 dishes whether SWM or not take their guide data from 101 so not having LOS to 119 does not maqtter as far as guide data is concerned.

yup 119 is for my locals in SD -- you would think D* would either move them to a high sat in this area (sort of like the eastern arc setup with E*) but I assume that is sooo easy for me to type than actually implement.

My wife is think we dont do it (the 3lnb) with D* since what happens if we "need" 110 or 119 in the future? And the only way to even think about clearing the trres for 119 is to mount the dish on the roof and might even need a 1-2 foot tripod; and both the wife and I agree to more dishes on the roof. We have perfect LOS with the eastern arc on E*; but between the prices and features D* is who we would much prefer (the whole house dvr is what really sells us on D*)

And well the PQ on CableVision is becoming worse (it has moments where you say wow that looks great.... but becoming seldom) and the fee's TiVo is charging makes us think switching is good. (back story I switch all the time and the wife is upset with that - can't blame her. Would have never left DirecTV a little over a year ago if it wasn't for LOS (119 and guide info) we both loved the service and the mrv in the beta was cool both rooms have ethernet so I don't see a reason to go deca unless its mandatory) ok sorry to ramble on lol

Have you asked the local shop what you will be missing?
They may have that info on hand.

it 100% no LOS on the 119 and 110?
If not, you could ask if they will still put a 5 lnb on there as you might occasionally get extra stuff when the leaves are off the trees and so on.

Unless there is perfect LOS on 119 then installing a 5-lnb is a no-no (unless it's SWM), because you will lose guide data when you are tuned to a channel on the 103 satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adding high def receiver question

Standard installation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)