And now for a receiver question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shkhzrd

Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I'm finally being allowed to put my Dtv system back up after a year and a half of Comcast Digital Cable torture. What an awful product! I was originally planning to put up my old DRD222RD but now I'm thinking about getting one of the Tivo units. Since I used to work for Thomson RCA I have always had a plentiful supply of RCA receivers. I was with them from the start of DSS and, although they always had quality issues of one kind of another, I always liked their menu systems and customizability. Now, I don't see RCA units for sale ANYWHERE. I can pretty much guess why. So, it looks like I'll have to get a Hughes or other brand. So far I haven't found a single dealer locally that has a non HD satellite system set up that I can play around with. I can't afford to play with HD toys yet. So, all I can do is ask people for input on which non-HD Tivo systems are best. Anyone have any ideas? Opinions?

ALL the D-Tivo systems use the same, exact menu/guide system, (RCA or otherwise) so it makes NO difference which one you buy - buy on price.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

dishrich is right. It doesn't matter which brand you buy. The menus are the same.

I do think the Directv R10 is made by Thompson though.

Yeah. Just looking at the thing I would guess it's a Thomson product. I think I'll just hook up the DRD222 and decide later what I want to upgrade to.

The Tivos are all actually made by the same company (not Thomson, some company in Mexico instead, IIRC) and they are rebranded. The DirecTV brand non dvr receivers ARE made by Thomson but are rebranded DirecTV.

JosephB said:
The Tivos are all actually made by the same company (not Thomson, some company in Mexico instead, IIRC) and they are rebranded. The DirecTV brand non dvr receivers ARE made by Thomson but are rebranded DirecTV.
Not quite, Joseph. The D10 (which should actually be the D10-100) is made by Thompson, but the -200 is made by Samsung and the -300 is made by Philips. You can tell the difference by their menus, but even their user manuals give their heritage away.

The R10 (at least case) is made by thompson. You can tell the heritage simply by looking at it and an RCADTC210 side by side. but that aside mine has a sticker on the bottom "Manufactured By Thompson ... something something" not at home but remember it from deboxing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV has the big 4. What about WB / UPN?

Keep TS 360 and send back DTC 210 or vice-versa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)