AMIKO Amiko mini 4k uhd receiver questions

Alexrules11

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2022
Eagle, Idaho
Greetings!
I recently set up my FTA installation which consists of a GeoSatPro 90cm dish and a Amiko mini 4k uhd receiver. I have a few questions about the receiver:

1. I noticed on the side of the receiver that there is a port labeled "RS-232". I see in the firmware upgrade menu that there is an option to upgrade the firmware via RS-232 but i'm wondering if that port is capable of more and if so, what else is it capable of?

2. I've heard that alternative, Open source operating systems exist for some receivers and i'm wondering if any open source operating systems exist that support the amiko mini 4k?

Thank you!

1. No
2. No, not this receiver.
What other OS do you need? The one in it works fine.

1. No
2. No, not this receiver.
What other OS do you need? The one in it works fine.
1. Good to know.
2. Yes, i agree that the stock firmware image is acceptable. I was simply curious if other firmware options were available that might offer further features(what features those might be, i don't know) or further stability/reliability enhancements.

I thought about starting another thread but this is a question about the Amiko Mini 4K so...

I have a couple of old SuperDish FSS bandstacked LNBFs. Back when I had a Coolsat I think it was or maybe the MicroHD, I was able to use these following this guide:
For using a Dish FSS set the LO to 10750, then set the scan range to 11700-12750. Then set your polarity to V only.
The Micro will scan in all the V TPs first, then continue scanning above that range for the H TPs which have been stacked above the V TPs. All scanned in channels will show as V, you will have to interpolate the true TP polarity if needed.
In the Amiko, I can't find anywhere to extend the scan range so it would in theory find only the V transponders. Am I missing the setting somewhere or is there a better way?

I thought about starting another thread but this is a question about the Amiko Mini 4K so...

I have a couple of old SuperDish FSS bandstacked LNBFs. Back when I had a Coolsat I think it was or maybe the MicroHD, I was able to use these following this guide:

In the Amiko, I can't find anywhere to extend the scan range so it would in theory find only the V transponders. Am I missing the setting somewhere or is there a better way?
Mr Tony Any input? I remember you posted a lot about these FSS lnbfs back in the day...

Check this post in this thread:

10750/13850 stacked ;)
scans 950 - 2150

From the long thread: New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

Reactions: Mr Tony
A lot of good info there, unfortunately unless I'm just missing it, none of it addresses a workable way in the Amiko receiver to deal with a bandstacked LNB.

I expect I just need to use standard LNBs to keep things simple, but bandstacked would make it a lot easier to do a multi-receiver setup, otherwise I would have to define duplicate satellites, one for H and the other for V with appropriate DiSEqC settings for each. Not to mention double the number of needed switch capacity.

A lot of good info there, unfortunately unless I'm just missing it, none of it addresses a workable way in the Amiko receiver to deal with a bandstacked LNB.
As I understand it, the bandstacked LNB has output from 950 to 2150 MHz for all the LNB channels.
So just do a blind scan with LOF 10750, to get all the channels.
Preferably with 18Volt fixed.
Or does the Amiko not allow a blind scan?

See the link in the above link: local oscillator info

Only some programs will not be listed with the correct frequency. No big deal?

What problems do you have to 'deal' with it, 'in a workable way'?

Greetz,
A33

On the MicroHD, I had to "extend" the range of the scan because the default scan would only see the vertical transponders, the horizontals were stacked at a higher frequency. I'm not seeing how to do that on the Amiko, it scans a specific range and I'm not sure whether that's enough. I'm also not sure I have it pointed properly yet because what it's scanning makes no sense (I think I'm pointed at 117W but all it finds is 9 TP's with 24760 symbol rate)

I expect I just need to use standard LNBs to keep things simple, but bandstacked would make it a lot easier to do a multi-receiver setup, otherwise I would have to define duplicate satellites, one for H and the other for V with appropriate DiSEqC settings for each. Not to mention double the number of needed switch capacity.
KE4EST Mike, any input on this issue for this receiver?

Reactions: norman881
If anyone has the ear of the firmware developers for this box, the NTP clock sync needs some work. As far as I can tell, it only syncs that one time when you configure it, and drifts horribly. Have to go in settings and piddle with it to get another sync. It needs to periodically sync.

If anyone has the ear of the firmware developers for this box, the NTP clock sync needs some work. As far as I can tell, it only syncs that one time when you configure it, and drifts horribly. Have to go in settings and piddle with it to get another sync. It needs to periodically sync.
That was supposed to be fixed. But I have not had contact with them in many months.

OTHER GT Media V7S5X Database w/Mood Music

OTHER Cascading DiSEqC switches