AMC-15 on the move (moving 0.54°E/day)

Well at present speed, it would take about 50 days to arrive at 105.

Then there's probably testing after this to make sure the signal is getting the coverage and power they are expecting.

Only then (IMO) would they be ready to place real content on the satellite. Realistically, I say 2Q2005.

Cheers,

Paradox-SJ said:
What will happen to AMC 6(?) that is already at the 105 location?

I think you mean AMC-2 which is currently providing the Dish locals at 105 W. AMC-6 is at 72 W. AMC-15 will be making a stop at 117 W for at least a month for some possible additional testing. It may also stop at 113 W as well for maybe two months for some other testing. Dish appears to be exploring future Ka-band usage.

rocatman said:
I think you mean AMC-2 which is currently providing the Dish locals at 105 W. AMC-6 is at 72 W. AMC-15 will be making a stop at 117 W for at least a month for some possible additional testing. It may also stop at 113 W as well for maybe two months for some other testing. Dish appears to be exploring future Ka-band usage.

Ahem...yeah testing. ;) I'm sure extending their licenses for those 2 locations didn't enter into their request to the FCC. :)

NightRyder

As many 105 trouble calls as I see with intermittent signal.... all in the same area on the same day... I say it's seen better days and time to orbit around another celestial entity.

Paradox-SJ said:
Will they leave AMC 2 and AMC 15 at the 105 location or has AMC 2 seen its last days?

SES Americom has not made an offical annoucement of their plans for AMC-2 yet.
It's only seven years old and will probably be left as an in-orbit spare somewhere.

For some reason, I thought this thing was supposed to go live in January 2005. I get my locals from 105, which are barely peaking at 50 percent. I guess I just have to keep hoping for clear weather, otherwise it's bye bye signal.

It looks like they are going to take their own sweet time moving it to 105. They got temp authority to stop at 117 now for 60 days.

mike123abc said:
It looks like they are going to take their own sweet time moving it to 105. They got temp authority to stop at 117 now for 60 days.

I think the temporary authorization is only for 30 days but Dish/SES Americom is still seeking FCC authorization for 60 days at 117 W and another 60 days at 113 W. The temporary authorization specifies December 10th - January 9th. According to LyngSat, at the current drift rate, AMC-15 won't get to 117 W by January 9th. If they do get the authorization for 60 days at 117 W and 113 W, I would expect AMC-16 to be operational before AMC-15 since AMC-16 is being tested at 82 W and its final location is 85 W so it won't take very long to move. Another item that should be noted is according to the request for temporary authorization, testing of AMC-15 was completed on November 30 which was about a month after it reached 136 W. I would expect that it won't take two weeks after launch for AMC-16 to get to 82 W for testing since it is being launched from less of an inclination in Florida than AMC-15 was in being launched from a Russian launch site.

Do we maintain an active list of 921 bugs/complaints?

New to Dish in January 05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)