Am I the only one who gets "no info avail"?

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Am I the only one who gets " no info available" for OTA HD channels.??? I live in upstate NY and get about 4-5 local OTA HD channels but never know what Im watching through the guide. Still dont know if the 811 gets the info from the airways or dish. No one can answer that question. ???????

robertjp said:
Am I the only one who gets " no info available" for OTA HD channels.??? I live in upstate NY and get about 4-5 local OTA HD channels but never know what Im watching through the guide. Still dont know if the 811 gets the info from the airways or dish. No one can answer that question. ???????
Can't help with your OTA guide question. I got a convoluted explanation one time that it involved both. Anyway, I only get 3 of the 8 stations here in OKC to populate my EPG. As a workaround, I setup the locals from Dish to interleave with my OTA locals. The Dish locals have good guide info.

If you have guide data for your dish locals you should have it for your OTA locals...

BFG said:
If you have guide data for your dish locals you should have it for your OTA locals...
For "all" OTA locals?
I only get about half of the OTA's w/guide data. The rest say "no Info available" even though I get all the dish locals with the guide info.
:confused:

BFG said:
I do have it for all the Dish locals. I don't have it for 5 of the 8 OTA locals, all of which have 75% or better on the 811 meter. The weakest station I can lock onto, 7.1 VHF, comes in at 63% and DOES have OTA guide info. :confused: By the way, reports from the local HD board state that other digital tuners (non-811) DO get EPG data from the suspect channels.

now, not for all locals, just the locals that dish carries. So like subchannels of pbs and others that are not on dish wont have data...

BFG said:
now, not for all locals, just the locals that dish carries. So like subchannels of pbs and others that are not on dish wont have data...
I know that. !sadroll
I'm talking about the primary digital OTA broadcast of the network affiliates, like KFOR (NBC) and and KWTV (CBS). The EPG data isn't there (only the station callsigns). On KOKH (FOX) it is.

Still cant get a straight answer.! Does the info come to the guide from the local airwaves (like the channel) or through dish? Somebody out there knows the answer. Thanks BP

the guide comes through dish.

When they first started this project they were asking us to call their techs to let them know of any missing data, so perhaps give them a call, and ask immediatly for a person on the 811 team. (probably have to do this during business days/hours)

As I understand it, the first couple of hours of OTA DTV channel information in the EPG comes from PSIP data broadcast by the stations. If those stations don't broadcast it or don't broadcast it to standard, No Info in the EPG. Beyond that, the EPG integrates guide information from what it discerns are the analog channel equivalents. If it can't determine an equivalent, No Info in the EPG past a couple of hours. Sometimes I see EPG data for a DTV sub-channel go out a couple of hours, then No Info, because there isn't an equivalent analog channel. Also, you need to be on a DBS channel for a while ever so often so that the EPG can refresh itself. Otherwise, you will see a lot of No Info.

I hope this helps. Personally, I pretty impressed that they can do what they do at this point in DTV evolution.

Where does 811 get OTA guide info from?

Someone please? DISH Sat. Plans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)