All new Optical Silver Ghost DWG7000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GeoBible

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Hello, I received some very good information after posting some questions yesterday and then this morning I received some new suggestions from other post so now I have some more questions.
I am new to the satellite world.
I was close to buying a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra with 90 cm dish and motor.
Then I ran across another page where everything I see is people having problems with them and some came flashed ? and some did not.
It seemed that most everyone there were having all kinds of problems.
So now I am starting to worry about the fortec.
Then today I am receiving information that there is a plug and play system that claims to be much better than anything out there including the fortec.
That system is on Ebay and is called a All New Optiacl Silver Ghost.
Cost is a little more. Hope someone can set me straight or give me more clues?
I hate when we have too many choices.
Then there was the winnexus unit that is very expensive?
I wish I could just get a complete package with all the bells and whistles that is ready to go but! price may affect my decision?
Thanks. :confused:

I have the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra, and got it direct from a Fortec dealer they are in factory condition! The "Problems" start when crooks start to flash receivers with software to steal satellite service, most all current receivers use the same main chip so they are ALL subject to hacking. As long as you don't do that the receiver should work flawlessly for many years to come. My Fortec Star Receiver has never missed a beat : )

Let us know what kind of problems these people were having and more than likely it was to do with hacking. I think its a good idea to shop around and do as much reading as you can before you decide to leap in, I know you are keen to get started : )
Also all the members here who HAVE the Fortec seem to like it very much.

Just had a look at e-bay : ) (DWG 700) Canadian seller says "Fully Loaded with all the Goodies" "Faster than the Pansat/Fortec"........ I don't know about the rest of the members but my Fortec is quite fast enough : ) And I don't think they mean fully loaded with "The Chuck Harder Show or The Tube"

Sorry if I had questions that may have involved something to do with hacking of which I know nothing about, I am searching at how to get the so called free to air systems that I was told are legal. None of the units I have looked at said anything about being hacked! There is no way I can ask or find out unless you yourself say stay away from this and that because they are hacked. So how is one to know or be able to ask questions? should I just take ones word for what is good? if you tell me that fortec is the only way to go and is the best should I just buy that unit? and be happy no matter what? sounds like the way my x wife wanted me to live. So are you saying that we are to get educated before we come to this site?
Now thanks to the information but the vibes i detect about hack talk should not be so strong to a newbee that has not mentioned anything about hacking at least that I know of.
Thanks

I see what you mean but just thought I would add the Hack disclaimer just to remind myself as much as anyone the rules of the forum and how far we can go with the discussion. You are also right you should not only take my advice just because I am first to try to help you thats what I mean by reading up. You have done nothing wrong by asking the question as a newbee. And I can assure all I am trying to do is steer you away from illegal eqiptment and to stick up for the legal FTA hobby. Sorry for any vibe, but my problem is with the hackers not you : )

Thanks for your kind reply and again i'm sorry and i'm still not too clear what the hack talk was? but Now I guess I will look into the complete units and hope to stay clear of the illegal things at least the ones I am aware of.
I don't mean to do anything illegal. By the way how does a forum like this keep members if one gets a satellite and is satisfied and has no more questions? does he just fade away or keep others coming to the site and goes back to chat?
Sorry I don't mean to keep this thread going on and on you don't have to answer these questions. Thanks again.

Hopefully when members get set up with their system they will return to help other members get started and hopefully one day FTA will become a real service as it is in other parts of the world. Members also return for chat and we have a "Whats Up There" area as things are always changing in this hobby and members post there any new finds they come across on their travels across the Clarke Belt using their Blind Scan receivers. I don't think there ever is a "satisfied" in this hobby we are always on the quest for better signals, more channels and after finding something interesting sharing it (hopefully) with the other members here : ) We also run giveaways and contests and hopefully people return to the forum often for that. I think the MAIN reason people return is to read each and every post of the ICEBERGS : ) Happy Holidays!

The unit that you are referring to has been developed to meet the hackers needs. You will find that the Fortec factory firmware and the manufacturers updates that are frequently provided will provide a very stable receiver and years of reliable service. Our experience has been opposite of your suggestion. The Fortec is a very stable and capable receiver. We have only had one Fortec fail out of thousands shipped. Buying a well known brand will also assure you many years of support by the distributor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

how to point two bird using one dish (about 2 degree difference)

Robert Blake Case

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)