Status
Please reply by conversation.

DiscoLoveGrapes

Zero Transponder Founded
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 14, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Well, after reading Lyngsat and reading a few reports in WUT, I finally decided to break down and get a Circular LNB I saw at a clearance sale. My only problem: how do I add it to my existing dish?

I heard someone once mention fastening it to the existing setup with plastic ties. Would that work? The DSS LNB is a bit bigger, so I would hope it didn't throw off the positioning.

Other suggestions?

although not patented by me...hose clamps work really good

What KU LNB do you have? It wont throw off the positioning (Ive done this on a few asetups). Just make sure to turn off the receiver (with switch on back) when adding/removing the switch

few examples. Last one is a KU/DBS setup

Attachments

• IM000365.JPG
    IM000365.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IM000368.JPG
    IM000368.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IM000369.JPG
    IM000369.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IM000370.JPG
    IM000370.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I'm using a Fortec Universal LNB, like the linked one except black.

Hose clamps look like an great idea, and provided the (very little) snow we got today melts off the roof, I'll be up there this weekend. Thanks!

I used a bungee cord just to see if the circular would work, and it worked well enough that i'm still using it.

I'm using an old Dish network circular LNB, which is somewhat larger than others, such as a Direct TV LNB. It did throw the positioning of the motor off (I use DiSEqC rather than USALS.) but it didn't take long to re-position. Since the circular is off to the side, the Canadian satellite at 91 is actually at about 97 on my setup.

I'm getting a very strong signal from 61 to 148, with the exception of 129 for some reason, which is rather low. But that doesn't matter, as I don't think there's anything except maybe a test card FTA on 129.

129 is low for the Dish subscribers too...I think the satellite is crippled

OPnly thing on 129 is the "you have a Dish 1000" screen :)

yes you will have to redo the settings for the DBS slot since its offset. In the above picture, for N1 its at about 96/97 (just like jh98 mentioned) :)

Thanks again for the help, I assumed it'd be a bit off, but that isn't too bad to deal with.

While I have people's attention, will the DiSEqC switch I have with my Fortec (2x1, GS-4120S) work with both DSS and Universal at the same time, or will I need another switch?

it will work just fine :)

Use port 1 for the Universal and port 2 for the DBS...all you have to change is the Diseqc port on the receievr setup.

yeah that was before I biffed it on the roof that day. I thought I broke the arm & LNB but I just knocked it out of alignment....10 minutes later we were back

and that picture is long before we had snow :)

The roof is not a great place for working on dishes. My Starchoice quad went bad and when I replaced it the screw holding the LNB would not tighten all the way down. Silly me, I got out a socket wrench and broke the head off the screw. It's only going into plastic and the screw broke. I thought well... I'll drill the screw out. Started to get a hole going into the broken screw when it heated up and went further in the plastic. Ended up putting the drill on it again and pushing it through the other side. Luckily there is nothing critical in that area of the plastic, and I was able to use another screw a little bigger in diameter. A "simple" change the LNBF job that should of taken about 15 minutes, ended up taking a couple of hours. The simple jobs get complicated fast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need Help on connections Please...

Setup Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)