Adding 2nd receiver options

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
We currently have the 722k connected to (2) TVs. Is it possible to add a 2nd receiver, such as a 211k, at the TV2 location, and share the current coaxial feed ? I'd like to keep the DVR accessible at TV2 as well as have HD signal.

Related question to my setup:

Haven't decided whether or not to get a 211k yet but do want to know if diplexing an OTA antenna feed with the TV2 feed into the TV is possible. If it is, how are the channels displayed ? Both would be connected to "ANT In". If the TV had (2) coaxial inputs, I wouldn't be asking :)

Related question to my setup:

Haven't decided whether or not to get a 211k yet but do want to know if diplexing an OTA antenna feed with the TV2 feed into the TV is possible. If it is, how are the channels displayed ? Both would be connected to "ANT In". If the TV had (2) coaxial inputs, I wouldn't be asking :)

You will need to use splitters to combine the OTA signal and TV2. Your picture quality will depend on the length of the cable and what channel you can use for TV2 in your area. Of course, you will use OTA for TV2.

Would it be easier if I used a 2nd antenna ? That's what I was thinking.

As a test, I hooked up a pair of rabbit ears and I get all of the locals. It helps when I live 7 miles from (all of) the towers.

Separate antennas are easier. It is possible to have OTA signals (usually in ATSC-digital) and Dish NTSC signals on the same cable but they need to be separated by an empty channel. I feed two 722 outputs on channels 60+62 and 64+66 to a splitter/combiner with the antenna. Then to a 4-ouput 10dB amp to feed the two 722s, TV, satellite combiner to a remote TV, nearly unused DVD, and a nearby TV. Looks like a loop but it isn't because the receivers' TV inputs are ATSC and the outputs are NTSC on different frequencies.
-Ken

If you have a 722K as stated, why not just get an OTA Module that hooks into the 722k. You will get your OTA signal on tv1 and tv2, no need for an antenna at tv2 location then.

If you have a 722K as stated, why not just get an OTA Module that hooks into the 722k. You will get your OTA signal on tv1 and tv2, no need for an antenna at tv2 location then.
I have a 722k with OTA module. The OTA signal at TV2 is 480i, via coaxial cable. I want HD at TV2.

Hall, what you want to do is not that complicated. But like you said before, a rabbit ears antenna might be the easiest way.

First combine the TV2 and the OTA antenna with a splitter. Then you combine the output of that splitter with the SAT signal using a diplexer. Run one cable to the location where you want the 211k and the OTA/TV2 signal. Use another diplexer to split the SAT signal and OTA/TV2 to the TV and receiver respectively. If you want I can draw a diagram for you, just let me know.

Sorry guys, I've probably confused the situation with (2) different scenarios. I did start by considering adding a 211k. If I did that, I think I know how it would be wired. In fact, that setup would be simple. I'd leave the TV2 feed from the 722k as-is so that we could watch off of the DVR. The 211k would have an antenna connected to it and connect to the TV via HDMI. Problem solved.

Until I buy a 211k, I'd like to have OTA signal at this TV (for simplicity, I'd use a 2nd antenna) but keep it connected to the 722k, again, for DVR access. If the TV had (2) ANT inputs, I wouldn't be asking, of course, but it's only got (1). I drew how I'd connect things. Problem is, I can't switch "inputs" to see the OTA feed or the receiver feed. Kklare may have touched on how to do this...

Attachments

• tv.pdf
    225.8 KB · Views: 130
Just set TV to OTA and use a channel that is not in your area. All you need to do then is go to that channel for TV2 and the rest of the channels will be your OTA channels in your area. That's how I have it setup for my daughter's TV.

Play, it works, but adding the splitter & a 6' piece of RG59 degraded the OTA signal quite a bit. Going to buy a 1 or 2' piece of RG6.

Can splitters be reversed ? If not, do I need a diplexer ?

Play, it works, but adding the splitter & a 6' piece of RG59 degraded the OTA signal quite a bit. Going to buy a 1 or 2' piece of RG6.

Can splitters be reversed ? If not, do I need a diplexer ?

You can also add an external hard drive to the 211 and use it as a DVR. No need to keep the 722 hooked up to it. Costs $40 to activate the USB port on the 211.

There is no noticeable difference between RG-6 and RG-59 for lengths less than say 25'.
Yes, a splitter is a combiner when run in reverse.
The splitter does attenuate the signal, the more ways it is split, the more loss and some are better. The difference in splitters in less than 2 dB for the same number of outputs.
A splitter splits the current to each output, but to maintain the impedance they may send some of the signal to a resistor to ground. Others/most use a 1- or 2-turn transformer/core to have less signal loss but have a small series resistor to match the impedance and maintain some isolation. For example, ideally a lossless 2-way would have 3 dB loss (.707 voltage or 1/2 power) for each output compared to the input but real ones are -4 or -5 dB. I know, too much background.
-Ken

There is no noticeable difference between RG-6 and RG-59 for lengths less than say 25'.
I didn't think so either but some people might get worked up over using RG59 ! :D Nonetheless, I did buy a 4' piece of RG6 as I was getting pixellation, though it could have been the antenna sitting wrong...
Yes, a splitter is a combiner when run in reverse.
I'd read that it's not "ideal" but it can work and of course, it is. It's a Genysys (?) splitter, left over by Time Warner some time ago.

The (2) weak links in this are I'm using a VHF antenna (rabbit ears) for UHF stations and the antennas push-on connector. Regarding the stations, as mentioned above, I'm less than 7-8 miles from towers and all stations come in at 85-95%, except one, which is in the 75-78 range.

I think it's better not to have any RG59 in the house. Eliminate future confusion.

Help! Dish won't install for me!

Forcing 211 to get SD Locals from 61.5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)