Ability to use old receiver for satellite?

kvnband

Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hi. First, please know that I have searched (for about a week now), and I still can't find any answers to my question. OK, I used to have cable. I had 2 lines coming into the house...1 to the TV, and 1 to my PC. Then I did my recording. (2 250 Gig HDs)

Now, my question is: Is it possible to use an old receiver (about 3 years old) to hook up to my PC? We currently have the Dish500 connected to the TVs, but I want to be able to do recording again. However, our satellite company charges 5 bucks a month for a 3rd receiver, and that adds up after awhile. And, if I can't use the old system, then is it possible to buy a used Dish500 off of ebay or something, and still use it? I know that the receivers have cards in them, and I'm guessing that in order to use another receiver, I'd have to get a card from our satellite company, but I just wanted to check here before I go shell out more money to them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ah, and number 2 question, although I don't think this one will work. Is it possible to just plug the coax into my capture card? I'm thinking that if I did this I'd have crappy quality (think I read it somewhere)

thanks

Cheapest way would be to split the TV output and run one to the computer from the other TV.

Otherwise you end up with $5 bux a month no matter where you get a dish from. (Unless you upgrade to a 322/522) More $$$

With a dual LNB, you can use a single dish.

There are still a lot of variables to know your exact set-up. Current receiver, LNB would be helpful.

kvnband said:
Ah, and number 2 question, although I don't think this one will work. Is it possible to just plug the coax into my capture card? I'm thinking that if I did this I'd have crappy quality (think I read it somewhere)

thanks
Not unless the card in your PC is a satellite tuner card. Digital signals come off the LNB at 12 GHZ and are converted to around 2 GHZ. By connecting the dish coax directly to the Analog TV tuner card, you get nothing.

OK, our receivers are Dish500s. I have no idea what LNB is (sorry, new to the whole sat thing)

So, when say split the TV output, do you mean splitting coax output or splitting the RCA type outputs?

Either way, I see what you're getting at. Split the line out and run it to the computer.

Thanks,

Kevin

OK, I'm looking around the net right now. I'm perfectly fine with buying a new capture card, as it would truly be a pain to run cable from the tv downstairs to a computer upstairs, on the opposite side of the house. My room has coax cable from an old satellite install, and it's not hooked up to the current dish. So, I'm thinking we can probably split one of the other cables and just patch it into the one that heads up to my room.

Thanks for the satellite tuner card tip. I never even knew something like that existed, as all I could find was tv tuner cards

75 ohm coax splitter: http://ts.smoothcorp.com/cornerhardware/152486.299x299.jpeg

Input comes from the back of the receiver. output 1 goes to the TV output 2 goes to computer if you have a tuner card.

If you just have RCA jacks for video input on the PC, then run the 75 ohm cable from the receiver to the TV and use the RCA out to the PC. As long as the length of your cable isn't too far, it should work. (This isn't feasible if they are on opposite ends of the house)

Also for point of accuracy, Dish 500 is a 'DISH' type and not a receiver. Receivers are 1000, 111, 2000, 2700, 2800, 301, 311, 322, 3750, 3900, 4000, 4900, 5000, 501, 508, 510, 522, 6000, 7100, 721, 811, 921 etc.

Hope this helps.

OK, I'm learning more every day :)

Well, I guess since they're on opposite ends, then I can either:

Use the RCA cables to go to TV & use coax from receiver to go to PC, or buy satellite tuner card and do it that way.

OH, and I've got one of those splitters almost exactly like that (just now checked to make sure)

Thanks a lot
Kevin

kvnband said:
Thanks for the satellite tuner card tip. I never even knew something like that existed, as all I could find was tv tuner cards

They are only available for FTA or 'FREE TO AIR' satellite reception. At present Dish/DirecTV does not have a card for PC's.

Check the FTA forum on this site if you are interested in getting 'LEGAL' freebie TV channels.

Dish6000 "smart card unauthorized" error?

Poll: Will you wait for the 942?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)