A question about satellite identification.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
Could someone answer either of these questions which have set me to wondering?

How does a FTA receiver know that it's receiving a "quality" signal? Does the satellite transmit coordinates that identify it?

If a receiver can tell that it has the right signal, from the right satellite, why can't it tell what the wrong signal is when you lock onto one of those? What I mean is; why can't it tell you where the signal is actually coming from?

Thank you.

I believe the 'quality' is just signal to noise ratio.

I'm not sure what the sats do to identify themselfs. I know some have audio sub-carriers with morse code running.

There are positive idetification satellite meters out there but they are generally expensive for us hobbyists. The pro installers can justify the expense as I'm sure it makes their jobs just that much easier.

Drool over the $400+ ones @Sadoun:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Signal-Meters.htm

Shawn

Last edited:
The main reason the signal knows about quality is because the parameters that are inputted in the unit. If its inputted wrong, you won’t get anything

So when you enter 11742 frequency H polarity and 6616 symbol rate, any satellite that has those parameters (and its active) will give you a quality signal.

The ones that I know of that are duplicates up there are 12060 V 26700. This is used on G11 (91W) and AMC4 (101W). So some people when aiming for G11 get the scrambled mux on AMC4

I know when I motor over to G10 (if I have 11799 V 26660 on) when the dish goes by AMC2 (Dish 105) the quality meter spikes because there is a 11800 V 26000 transponder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KDEV on mid-Missouri cable TV

Intergra 912

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)