A moving question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
So, I'm sitting here waiting for my FTA system to arrive. Every day the company says that it will definintley be shipped today. Every evening when I check the tracking, it hasn't been...This waiting has me thinking of questions which probably will start to bother those of you who know what you're doing (and have something to do it with). I do apologize.

I've done several site surveys while waiting, and it seems like there isn't a single site on our property which has a clear view to all of the satellites that I think I want. This is what I'm wondering...Is it easy enough to align a satellite signal (to the dish) that I might be able to make a weighted support in which I could move the antenna and realign it if I "really" wanted to see something on another satellite? From what I've been reading from other posts about dish alignment problems, I sort of doubt it.

A second, hopefully better question: Is it possible to switch between a motorized dish (which I've ordered) and a stationary dish, while using same receiver? It seems from what I've read that a receiver programmed for motor control would be confused if switched to a stationary dish.

Well...hopefully some day my system will come. I'll be able to experiment and find out the answers to some of these simple questions myself.

Thanks again.
Tim

2/ Sure is easy enough to switch between dish!

You will need a DiSEqC switch, depending on how many dish you think you will end up with :) The most popular are 2 way and 4 way switch.

1/ It will not be easy but it is possible to move the dish around to different locations, really all you will have to do is go back to the ZERO position on the motor, then re-find your true south satellite and as long as the mount is plumb and level you will be good to go! A lot less work to just have a couple of dish!

If I were you and were getting messed around I would cancel your order and order from another company, thats just not fair. If they do not have the system to ship they should NEVER have taken your order without telling you!

I am sure it will be worth the wait!

A couple of dishes sounds like a good idea. I didn't realize how cheaply you could pick up a low noise LbNF. We live in a depressed area of Pennsylvania and I have been looking at several large dishes located on the tops of stores which have closed down. I don't know what they were originally used for, but they look very promising. I don't know how hard it would be to find the owners to try to buy one.

As for the system I've ordered, I think that I give it one more go tomorrow. The shipping department was supposed to call me yesterday and never did. I've been told several times that the package would be shipped that day. I'm starting to wonder myself if they actually sell product. I was told that I was moved to the top of the shipping list this morning. That must mean that nothing was shipped out today. The real disappointment was that I waited all day Saturday thinking that FedEX was going to pull and deliver. I'm only 40 years old so I don't handle disappointment very well. :)
The price was really cheap. I guess thats why I'm sticking on another day.

Nothing worse than waiting around for the FedEx guy on a Saturday. A few months ago I over slept and the FED EX guy took off without leaving the goods!

I jumped into my wifes car and sped after him, he got away and I had to wait until the Tuesday for the delivery! I know how you feel :)

I had a receiver shipped fedex that was suppose to show up yesterday...well they tried to deliver it Friday (but our office was closed)

nothing sucks worse than waiting for the fed ex/ups/dhl/mail man to deliver your product

oh, and yes you can use a fixed and motorized...thats what I do. I have a motorized that has an issue hitting G10...so I have a 2 way switch between the motor and the LNB's anfd I use a 36" fixed dish for G10.

just an addition to your question about the motor being confused...it wont

on my Pansat, the satellites with a motor you set to "USALS" or "1.2" and the fixed dish I have the setting to "disable"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DBS LNBF on BUD

Pansat locking up