942 questions

TFLeonard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I'm interested in upgrading to the 942 HDDVR. Can I replace my 6000 receiver by the 942 and use it's existing antenna line or do I have to run an additional line for the second tuner?

I'm using a SW44 and two SW21's in a 3 sat. 2 tuner setup. Do I need to upgrade my switches?

I also have a 301 in the bedroom, is it wise to eliminate it and feed from the 942's TV2?

Can the 942's tuner tune unscrambled cableTV?

When I activate the 942 will it take the place of the disconnected 6000 so I don't get charged for an additional receiver?

I don't have a phone line near the receiver. Can I by-pass the modem check screen during Setup?

If I use the two TV mode how can I feed the 2nd TV which us in an upstairs bedroom?

Hi, welcome to the site!

The least cost solution would be to just drop another line in for the 942. But I would imagine that with buying a receiver like that it would include switch upgrades and stuff, so I would ask about that.

Yes, use the 942 to feed the tv in the bedroom, it will work fine.

No, the 942 cannot tune CableTV channels. But if you merge the TV2 output with cable, you can modulate the 942's TV2 output to a cable channel, but the 942 irself doesn't view cable.

If you disconnect the 6000 and add the 942, the only new fee would be a DVR Fee of $4.98 per month (waived if you have AEP)

You need to have a phonline hooked up to the 942. (you can use a wireless phone adapter, if a line isn't near by) f you don't plug in the phone, an annoying message will pop up everytime you turn on the 942 and you'll be charge an extra $4.99 per month.

You can feed the 2nd TV using standard coaxil cable that proably already exists in the walls of your house.

I'm using a SW44 and two SW21's in a 3 sat. 2 tuner setup. Do I need to upgrade my switches?

You don't have to change switches if you run a second feed from the switch to the receiver location. If you want to use a separator you'll need to go DishProPlus.

I also have a 301 in the bedroom, is it wise to eliminate it and feed from the 942's TV2?

Sure. Why pay the extra $5/mo?

Can the 942's tuner tune unscrambled cableTV?

Nope.

When I activate the 942 will it take the place of the disconnected 6000 so I don't get charged for an additional receiver?

When you call to activate you need to tell the CSR to deactivate the receivers you're replacing.

I don't have a phone line near the receiver. Can I by-pass the modem check screen during Setup?

You can't bypass it. You could temporarily run a long cord to a phone jack or you can tell the CSR you aren't hooking it up to phone.

If I use the two TV mode how can I feed the 2nd TV which us in an upstairs bedroom?

You can diplex one of the feed lines back out to run the 2nd tuner output to the bedroom.

TFLeonard said:
Only if you want 3 tuners to view 3 satellites. Both inputs of the dual tuner receivers must have the same switch configuration, so the 942 will get the side slot and the receiver you keep won't or vice versa.
If having 2 tuners meets your viewing needs, sure. If you could use a 3rd tuner I would suggest keeping the 6000 instead.

What would I need

AMC 15 now parked 85w...so what now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts