77% Signal "red" and no quality - bummer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skybone

Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
East Coast
Hello all,

I moved from the midwest to the mid-atlantic. Unboxed my stuff, cemented a plump pole in the ground. Hung my winegard 1M offset and pointed it 221 degrees west at 39-ish elevation (trying to hit IA5) with a Fortec Star DVB786NA receiver. LNBF is a fortec FSKU-v new out of the box. I used a satellite meter to tweak my dish. Signal quality stays at 77 percent but is always red. Thought it might be skew was off, so rotated slow-ly and signal bar never turned green. Never get a percentage on the quality indicator. I am stumped.

Since it's been about eighteen months between FTA, I tried to come up with a channel list for my RCVR, but can find none. The 786NA has a function built in to export the list but no instructions on how to use that feature.

I thought maybe it was time to do a master reset on the RCVR, but would like to know I can upload the channel list back into it.

Any ideas from y'all out there would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Universal, yes.

Thanks for the reply. The satelliteguys.us seems like a very good place to hang out :up

Yes, I previously double-checked the LNBF settings in the RCVR. A couple hours ago I got brave and did a master reset. The TP and Channel data was not removed, but all other settings were. So, I went outside with a TV and stood alongside the dish and tried to affect the signal--signal unchanged when pointed at ground :confused: so, maybe LNBF is not 100% functional or it is the RCVR. I have ordered a new LNBF (.3 noise factor) to swap out with the FSKU-v. Will have to wait till it shows up to test. The 786NA worked great on T5/IA5 last time I used it. Looking forward to getting it back in operation. Considering a SG2100 and second dish once this initial problem is solved.

I've had that happen with my Lifetime Ultra and also saw that it didn't change even if pointed at the ground. Fortunately the glitch was cured by turning the power off and back on. I notice that signal seams to read 40% no matter what or where it points in all cases. Just noise level I guess. Anyone know if that means anything?

signal strength really means nothing in aiming a dish, as you have noted you can point a dish at the ground and get signal strength. What you are looking for is signal quality ;-) I have no idea why manufacturers still include a signal strenth meter on fta box's, as they seem useless......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dish and Lnb

Setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)