721 Red Button

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
What is the red button on the remote for?

It says in the manual that it's "reserved for future use". (That's right. I actually looked in the manual. :eek: ) However, I seem to remember someone mentioning they used the red button for something.

I did push it once. (Don't push the red button!) But, the only thing it did was make a little Tivo-like icon appear in the lower-right part of the screen. It's kinda spooky-looking, actually. Like that paper clip in MS Office.

So? WTH does it do?

This was just explained to me by someone else on here. The red button allows you to minimize the pip window down to an icon so that you can see one of the two programs you're watching full screen. Its a lot nicer than the regular pip button, as that one stops viewing the second tuner once the window is hidden. You can still use the swap function to swap the two programs back and forth. I'm really looking forward to using this feature during football season.

As far as I know, Dish hasn't produced an updated manual covering the new interface.

The read button is like the PIP, but it also causes the 2nd tuner to buffer. I have played around with a bit, but I am a bit confused as to when the buffer gets cleared. It also allow you to put up the TV icon and then using the switch button pop back and forth between tuners.

Nice work around, but I would like to see the switch button toggle between tuners with out having to using the red button.

I suggest using this over the PIP button. It works just like it with the extra feature of buffering the second tuner.

It makes more sense to me now. Thanks.

But, as I said, I was able to buffer both tuners without using the red button, by using the pip and swap buttons. One would normally have to pip and swap in order to tune the two tuners to the desired channels, right? It seems the only way the red button saves time, is if the pip tuner is already on the channel you want.

Well the red button give you the mode with just the little TV so I pefer it when swapping Channels. I also notice some buffering on both tuners even without the RED button but I could be wrong. Need to revisit it.

GaryPen said:
One would normally have to pip and swap in order to tune the two tuners to the desired channels, right? It seems the only way the red button saves time, is if the pip tuner is already on the channel you want.
Yes. For example, I use it when I'm watching prime-time programming that's being recorded on tuner 1, and have the Texas Rangers on Tuner 2 with the PIP buffer on to go see stuff that happens during the game.

It's useful.

But, once you've tuned the two tuners to the channels you want, aren't they buffering? Or, does buffering normally stop, once the PIP is closed, unless the red button TV Icon has been activated?

Sometimes, I can be very dense.

The Dish HDTV Giveaway

The Honeymoon is Over with My 721 Already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)