721 acting up...

SteveinDanville

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Last night my 721 started experiencing problems with the 30 second skip/10 second rewind tools. It's only skipping forward approx. 15 seconds, and it is only skipping backwards 1 second, and won't let you skip further back than that, so every time you hit the rewind button, it starts again exactly where it did the last time. I hope this isn't the way it's going to be from now on; anybody out there have this problem before? This is my 3rd 721, and the HDD is getting louder and louder, where it was silent, like a PC, for about a year. Now it's got a very annoying mechanical sound that you can hear from across the room quite easily. I have about 65 hours recorded on the HDD.

Today it seems to be working fine, and yes, I have the $1.99/month insurance. I'm just waiting for the day when the HDD fails and I get to get yet another 721. Wonder if they'd let me pay some extra $$$ and upgrade to a 942?

Yeah, my 721 has been having intermittent problems with skip-rewinding more than a few seconds, although the rewind button always works. I think I had this problem before the infamous 175 SW release.

Regarding your hard drive, I have my third 721 in six months. The HDD in the first one failed after three days, the HDD in the second one failed after two weeks, and the third one seems to be OK except for the problems introduced by the 175 SW download and the aforementioned occasional problems with skipping not always working ("Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"). My HDD problems always began with the HDD emitting mechanical noises, so your HDD might be about to fail.

When the 721 works as advertised, it's a great machine, but because of all the problems I've had with the three 721's I've had, I have no confidence in it.

Richard

Didn't have this problem until after the latest update...looks like something got screwed up. Rewind always works. Skip forward 30 seconds works. Skip back 10 seconds sometimes works, other times will only skip back to where I stopped skipping forward (with the 30 sec advance). NEVER had this problem before this past week.

Last night my skip backwards bug started acting up again. If you just try using the rewind button, it doesn't just start at 4X, it goes at like 60X minimum; it flys!!! I'm hoping this goes away soon. By the way, it's only happened on PVR recordings.

Dp+44

522 DVR Noise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)