522 (care)

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Whats the best way to protect the harddrive? Should I turn the tuners off when I turn the tv off? Will this shutdown the hard drive? I know the 522 is always writing to the drive so you can go back. But with the tuners off all you have is the scrolling Dish Logo until you push on or select.
Or is this a waist of time,is the hard drive in use at this time?
Thank you
Lenny

1. Put NOTHING on top of it, around it, or under it. It should sit on a shelf, NOT a televsion or VCR or anything else generating heat. It generates enough heat of its own.

2. NEVER move it during operation. You wouldn't bounce a PC around while on, so don't do it to the 522.

3. We already went over grounding elsewhere. I have to RA more 522s damaged by not being grounded than any other receiver.

That's it. Turning the tuners on or off shouldn't really matter. The drives are going to operate no matter what you do as long as it is on and operational.

Re: the other question elsewhere about signal... I've noted that the 522s are beyond flaky and can show total lack of signal on the check switch screen and signal strength screen yet show all your programming as well as locals if you're subscribing. It usually is the precursor of total failure in my experience. Watch it carefully and if it stops behaving correctly, call Dish and demand a replacement and trouble call.

Thanks again!
I dont think I explained the other problem very well, I had no programming as well as no locals. This is why I checked the siganal and check switch.
Thanks
Lenny

You are leasing the receiver from DISH so it is their property don't worry about hard drive failure. Also don't archive your programming on the hard drive when it fails and you know it will the programming is going to go to DISH with the bad receiver. Always remember you have no commitment to DISH so any time you have problems you can tell them where to go if they don't want to service your account!!!

boba said:
Also don't archive your programming on the hard drive when it fails and you know it will the programming is going to go to DISH with the bad receiver.

What do you meen by archiveing your programming?

Don't save anything important to the DVR is what boba meant.

Just think of it as a temporary storage place. If you want it forever, send it to a VCR tape or digitally capture it to a computer and save it to CD/DVD.

It is not a matter of 'if' the unit dies and takes all of your recorded shows with it, but a matter of 'WHEN'.

I'm on my second 522. I don't record anything I don't care to lose someday.

:shocked

Dishplayer Installation Problem

Clearing Purchase History

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)