Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well, got bored last night (actually, had an hour to kill before wrestling came on), so I decided to try somthing.

Decided to run 2 LNB's to 3 receivers so that each receiver had independent tuning of either LNB. Normally, if you split the line, whatever polarity one is on, the other would be. I wanted to avoid that and use as few switches as possible.

Enter the 4x8 switch used for DirectTv. Some are 5x8, which allows for an antenna input. This allows you to hook both dual LNB's up and run up to 8 receivers (as normally used for Phase III applications)

Items used
-DBS LNB aimed at 91
-KU LNB aimed at 123
-5x8 switch
-3 receivers (Pansat 1500, Satwork 3618, Viacast 2000)
-cables (duh!)

Very easy to set up. Run all 4 lines (2 from each LNB) to the switch and hook up the receivers. Seems simple :) On the switch, there is 13v, 18v, 13+22k, and 18+22k. I plugged the KU into the 13 & 18 and the DBS into 13+22k & 18+22k

Programming each receiver was interesting, since each one has a different way to distinguish between each LNB.
-On the Pansat, all I had to do was on Nimiq 1, change 22khz to "ON" and it registered. I left Galaxy 10's 22k to OFF
-On the Viacast, I had to reprogram the DBS part in the receiver. For Polarity, there are 0, 14, 18, 14+22k and 18+22k. So it made it easy. The receiver had to rescan the entry to get the polarity right (Viacast doesnt automatically do it)
-On the Satwork, I had to scan in the DBS frequency. I did a manual scan and entered the info, and also turned on the 22K setting.

I tested it out and it worked :)
Pansat had WMQF on (11799 V KU)
Viacast had Power 97 audio on (DBS)
Satwork had Research Ch on (11805 H KU)

Normally the Pansat and the Satwork wouldnt be able to do this because I "split" the one line and the Pansat takes control of polarity
All receivers could receive the same channels without problems. I was able to motor around to the different satellites without any issue.

All and all it was a fun project and took about 1/2 hour to get everything working. (having access to the roof which is only 8 feet above you helps too) :D I unhooked everything and put it back the way it was (mostly because the cables were run through the window)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Best Place to Buy Equipment Online?

Wvgn gone??...now Found!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)