18" dish vs 24"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I live in Charleston which means I have to have 2 dish's right now. I have 2 18" single LNB's (one for local and one for the other channels) and was wondering if I would see any benefit from buying 2 24" dish's are far as reception.

We tend to have pretty bad evening storms sometimes but I have yet to have any problems with rain fade. My current reception is 94% on 72.5 and 96% on the other(can't remember which one it is).

Thanks for any input.

1. 24" will be a higher gain and should have less rain fade, BUT seeing as you don't have that issue see #2.

2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why mess with a good thing that is working to your liking?

3. Just sit back and enjoy.

Thanks guys. I'll leave it alone till they roll out the new dish and HD locals in our area then I'm going to sign up for that and the HD DVR. Hopefully sooner than later.

Just an update. Had two boomers the last 2 afternoons and lost both signals for 30 minutes on each day. Would a 24" really make a big diff during a bad storm or is it just for helping your chances when it rains.

I found a winegard 24" for $30 without the LNB

elwaylite said:
Just an update. Had two boomers the last 2 afternoons and lost both signals for 30 minutes on each day. Would a 24" really make a big diff during a bad storm or is it just for helping your chances when it rains.

I found a winegard 24" for $30 without the LNB

It will extend the time before the onset of a rain-fade event, and will shorten the time before the rain-fade event stops, overall, it helps shorten the total duration of an outage.

Going from 18 to 24 will not completely stop rain-fade, but could eliminate some events where the 18 might be affected to the point of signal loss, where as the 24 might be able to keep the signal enough to not lose signal.

Last edited:
Ok, next question.

If I do buy 2 24" dish's, will they bolt right up to the 4 bolts that already hold the 18" dish on to make it easy, or does that not line up and I'll have to take the bracket and all off which means realigning?

The dish says its for D* and E*.

elwaylite said:
Ok, next question.

If I do buy 2 24" dish's, will they bolt right up to the 4 bolts that already hold the 18" dish on to make it easy, or does that not line up and I'll have to take the bracket and all off which means realigning?

The dish says its for D* and E*.
I believe you'll have to re-align the dishes regardless, if you decide to go with the 2 24's, you can't expect tehm to just match up perfectly , the azmith will definatly have to be adjusted, you may get by with the elevation part.

Personally,I would leave them alone untill the mpeg4 setup is in your area and then have D* install teh AT-9 or slimline when it comes out, depending on which you perfer.
I think I would like the AT-9, seeing the dish is a bit larger, if I can get it dialed in correctly, it should improve my rain issues.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

THANKS to local installer

Directv RSN's HD News Dates Info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)