119 & 121 on P* dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
I've done some 'tinkering' with one of the P* dishes and was able to pull in 121 and 110 (kufss & old D* lnb). I've read that you can not get119 & 121 because there are only 2 degrees apart....can someone further explain this?

I get 119 and 121 with my KU LNB pointed at 119 or 121. It's actually kind of annoying :).

I'm sure 121 and 110 is doable. Assuming a fixed dish, is your Ku LNB the main one? If so, point to 121 and you'll have to play with the positioning of the DSS LNB to find where it'll see 110. It'll be someplace out to the left (facing the dish) of the Ku LNB.

I just added a D* LNB to my Primestar. I hose-clamped it Iceberg style to the left of the Ku LNB. If I DiSEqC to get the DSS LNB at Echo 7(119), the dish actually moves East to hit Echo 9(121) on the Ku LNB.

I think the 'no 119/121' thing is because the P* dish has a 2° beamwidth. Basicly the two LNBs would need to be in the same place. That new Invacom circular / Ku LNB would solve this issue ($100 later ;) )

Thanks for the info. I too am doing the hose clamp, pvc pipe and other fittings to secure 2 (for now) lnb's on one P* dish. Even though there's nothing to watch on 119 or 121, I figured I would start with one fixed kufss and try and pick up a signal on 110/119 since they're much stronger signals. The first time I tried 2 lnbs on one dish, I was trying to pick up 74 & 93 but with no results (at least before it started raining and I gave up for the day). Anyway, I was able to do 121/110. Now I'm going to try and get closer satellites until I find out exactly how close I can get before it won't work. It's fun to try though...............

The reason 2 degrees doesnt work right is because the LNB is too wide. If you've ever seen a DirecPC dish (where the KU was at 99 and DIrect is at 101), the DBS LNB looks like a pencil tip. This is the way the 121 Superdish is set up.

If you put the DBS LNB to the left of the KU band (if you are standing in front of the dish facing it), you can get 119 & 123. This is what I have. I had to gut the casing around the eye of a dish LNB...a Direct one works fine since there is no casing around the "eye"

As for the less than 4 degrees for KU...my StarChoice dish is at 107.3 & 111.1
The 2 "eyes" are squished together to get it that close

Shawn95GT said:
I hose-clamped it Iceberg style to the left of the Ku LNB. If I DiSEqC to get the DSS LNB at Echo 7(119), the dish actually moves East to hit Echo 9(121) on the Ku LNB.
hee hee.... :)
when my local Ace Hardcware sees me, they know what I'm up to :D
(I usually buy a hose clamps and bolts to hold the mast on the roof) :D

Check out the PIC below.

The closeup LNB's, you'll see the rectangle one and the pencil to its left

This is the normal DirecPC setup for 99/101

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Questions from a newbie

Pas-3R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)