OTHER AVL Dish Skew question.

Codematic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 9, 2019
Boston, ma
Greetings,

I posted here a year ago about my AVL dish. I have the electronics replaced and can move it remotely with a joystick.

I am trying to understand the skew, I know there is horizontal and vertical polarities. And a skew off of that. The dish has a mechanical skew capability of +-95 deg.

So the picture below I think is a horizontal polarity, with +25~ skew ? Since 0 is the LNB straight up.

But what does a vertical skew look like ? I can move the skew all the way to one side, or the other then when there, tilt it +- back to skew ?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_5190.png
    IMG_5190.png
    619.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5189.jpeg
    IMG_5189.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 98

Codematic

Jun 9, 2019
Boston, ma
Thinking about this more, it seems that skew on my dish is done like this ?

Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_5216.jpeg
    IMG_5216.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 85

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Greetings,

I posted here a year ago about my AVL dish. I have the electronics replaced and can move it remotely with a joystick.

I am trying to understand the skew, I know there is horizontal and vertical polarities. And a skew off of that. The dish has a mechanical skew capability of +-95 deg.

So the picture below I think is a horizontal polarity, with +25~ skew ? Since 0 is the LNB straight up.

But what does a vertical skew look like ? I can move the skew all the way to one side, or the other then when there, tilt it +- back to skew ?

Thanks,
Add + or - 90 degrees to the current ~ +25 degree skew. And yes with the wider opening of the waveguide being horizontal at 0 degrees. It is set to receive horizontal polarization.
In "my" world with voltage switched lnbf. The 0 reference could either be facing straight up or straight down. So if receiving a strong horizontally polarized transponder. Turning the lnbf 180 degrees would receive the same.

Codematic

Jun 9, 2019
Boston, ma
Add + or - 90 degrees to the current ~ +25 degree skew. And yes with the wider opening of the waveguide being horizontal at 0 degrees. It is set to receive horizontal polarization.
In "my" world with voltage switched lnbf. The 0 reference could either be facing straight up or straight down. So if receiving a strong horizontally polarized transponder. Turning the lnbf 180 degrees would receive the same.

Ok great, thats what i was hoping for.

Thanks for the response.
-Lenny

Sorry for the delay, had to put the project on hold for a bit.

Titanium

AI6US
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Do you store the Horizontal and Vertical Skew servo defaults with each satellite position? If not, save your X and Y axis joystick setting along with the skew Horizontal and Vertical offsets to be called out by Arduino or ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts